Sign in to follow this  
Midwest Fisherman

Reelfoot Lake

Going to reelfoot lake in March with a few buddies. I've never been so any recommendations of any kind would be great. 

Only been once, for two days. Take a boat you don't care for very much, or better yet, take a buddies boat.  We ricocheted off so many stumps it sounded like a pinball machine. And that was with a 14 ft tin boat with a 9.9hp motor.  I would not take a fiberglass boat, even a buddies.  All that being said, great crappie fishing.  Didn't try the bass fishing.

Better yet rent a boat . I fished it once . Ive never seen another place  like it .  .I only caught 1 bass , a dogfish , some bluegill and crappie .

4 hours ago, Al Wolbach said:

Only been once, for two days. Take a boat you don't care for very much, or better yet, take a buddies boat.  We ricocheted off so many stumps it sounded like a pinball machine. And that was with a 14 ft tin boat with a 9.9hp motor.  I would not take a fiberglass boat, even a buddies.  All that being said, great crappie fishing.  Didn't try the bass fishing.

Haha, that's exactly what I heard. Was there a preferable crappie lure or just hunt and peck 

3 hours ago, scaleface said:

Better yet rent a boat . I fished it once . Ive never seen another place  like it .  .I only caught 1 bass , a dogfish , some bluegill and crappie .

I heard renting was the best way to go. 

16 hours ago, Midwest Fisherman said:

Haha, that's exactly what I heard. Was there a preferable crappie lure or just hunt and peck 

We used crappie hair jigs 1/8 and 1/16 oz, but do not remember what colors were productive. Most of the locals fish spider rigs which, to me, is like watching paint dry, however it can be productive. We fished hair jigs, tipped with minnows, under a moving float. The lake is shallow but I can not remember how deep, but only a few feet.

At the time we went there were a lot of places to stay that included boat, bait and motel but I heard many of them closed when the economy crashed a few years ago. We stayed in one of those but we took our boat. The rental boats had very small motors, 4-5 hp as I remember. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Wolbach said:

We used crappie hair jigs 1/8 and 1/16 oz, but do not remember what colors were productive. Most of the locals fish spider rigs which, to me, is like watching paint dry, however it can be productive. We fished hair jigs, tipped with minnows, under a moving float. The lake is shallow but I can not remember how deep, but only a few feet.

At the time we went there were a lot of places to stay that included boat, bait and motel but I heard many of them closed when the economy crashed a few years ago. We stayed in one of those but we took our boat. The rental boats had very small motors, 4-5 hp as I remember. 

Great, thanks for the info and heads up. I think 2 of the guys go or have been but don't know when. It's usually a crap shot but doesn't hurt to ask for info