Sign in to follow this  
zachb34

Secure Your Gear in Transport

Well, I've had my boat for over 2 years now. It's just a flat bottom jon boat and nothing fancy. I've always used a set of attwood rod straps to secure my rods while on my way to the water and never had an issue. A few nights ago, one came undone in the dark and my rods and reels fell in the street. I didn't notice for about 8 miles. It took me and a buddy about an hour to find our lost gear. The only surviving combo was my loomis IMX and curado 200i. A first generation Veritas also survived. I lost another Veritas, and a another IMX. both were too crushed to pick up off the busy road in the dark. Hopefully this reminds someone else here to be more careful than I was. My rods and reels will now stay in the truck until I'm at the ramp. This is a picture of what was recovered, but didn't survive. A Curado 200E7 a curado 200i. The curado I would work great if I could get another frame and handle for it. I guess this gives me a reason to but a Curado 70 after I pay for my fall semester. 

20160517_235002.jpg

OUCH!!  Sorry for your loss.  That's a tough lesson to swallow!

That sucks. I always put my rods in the truck cab before I had a boat with a rod locker to keep them from getting dirty or bouncing out. That's a tough lesson to learn. 

where was the NSFW warning?  that sucks zach!  i had a gen 2 cumara break during transport one time on my kayak and made me sick....  always find that bright side though man, at least it wasn't the boat!!

• Like 1

Dude that is stomach turning.  Definitely hard lesson.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

That sucks. I always put my rods in the truck cab before I had a boat with a rod locker to keep them from getting dirty or bouncing out. That's a tough lesson to learn. 

Same here- they're always in the cab with me en route.

Sorry about the loss, @zachb34! That's terrible.

• Like 1

Dang, that's tough to see!  At least a combo survived so you can still get out on the water until you can replace the rest of the gear!

3 hours ago, blckshirt98 said:

Dang, that's tough to see!  At least a combo survived so you can still get out on the water until you can replace the rest of the gear!

I have many more, these were just the ones I use to get it done in the swampy areas around here. 

• Like 1

Ouch is right.  I'd still be crying.  I was ticked at myself for not taking the time to put a reel cover on my near mint Chronarch 101A before traveling and now have some nice boat rash on it.  It only takes once to learn a lesson.  Thankfully you have plenty of backups.