Props, 3, 4 or 5 blades?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of 3, 4 & 5 bladed props?

I currently have a merc 5 bladed prop on a 150 XR4, on my 354 Ranger.  I get about 55mph top end @ 5800rmp.  The boat handles wells and the hole shot is good.  This is my first bass boat.

Thanks for your help and input.

I don't know much on the subject but have always been told the more blades the better the hole shot is going to be, and less blades the faster the boat will be. I do know that with any prop the pitch of the blades is also a big factor as to how well it performs.

3 blades have the best top end speed, but are the slowest to get on plane. A boat will chine walk more with a 3 blade than a 4 or 5 blade. You will also have more torque steering with a 3 blade. 4 blades will have good holeshot and will have good top end,neither of which will be great. As far as a 5 blade you dont even want to use it on a bass boat, .A 5 blade is made for pulling heavy loads, like skiers or pontoons. If you decide to change props be sure to try to test a few since your boat will act differently to the different brands. You will have to adjust your jackplate after you get that 5 blade off of there too.

The pitch of your prop is the most crucial factor.A motor should turn to just under the manufactor's specifcations at full throttle.The same motor will take a differnt pitch in each of the blade #'s.Call me silly but I run a high five on my Skeeter the top end is the almost the same as a 3 blade but the lift or hole shot is better.The biggest differance is the stability in rough water and the ride. :)