Sign in to follow this  
sarcazmo

Flippin/Pitchin' Blank...

Posted this on another forum and no bites so far so I figured I'd ask here as well.

Well I've decided this summer I'm going to become a better grass fisherman.  

The lakes here typically have submerged milfoil.  Occasionally it will mat up on top, but nothing like you see on some lakes that are known for it.  We've also got some pretty heavy wood on some lakes so it will probably be more general purpose than just specifically submerged vegetation.

Looking for a blank around 7'6" that can handle this.  I'd like to keep the blank under $100 if possible.  I'm going to use Recoil guides and braid... Why?  I've actually had a few people ask me about them. (Actually have a guy wanting me to build 'Father and Son' rods for a graduation gift.  The 'lightest most sensitive' available.  He's the one that actually brought up recoils) I haven't built a rod with them, or fished a rod that uses them, so I can't really give them first hand experience, just what I've read.  I've read all the horror stories and really want to get some experience with them.

Lately I've been building on Immortal and Eternity blanks but I dont think I need a super high dollar stick for this project plus its fun to try new things.  I've been looking at the Bushido FS78-12/25
and a couple of Liberty blanks.  Specifically the FS764 or the FS766.

Has anyone used any of these?  THoughts?  Recommendations?

I might even throw on a Daiwa T3... Lets see if the guides and T-Wing will groove! :-) :lol:  8-[

http://www.getbitoutdoors.com/specials/blank-bonanza/50-60-off-high-modulus.html

If I were looking to try recoils on a rod I think I'd do that on a finesse rod instead of a flippin rod.  Above blank looks like it should fit what you're looking for.

Recoil guides are plenty durable for a flipping Rod. The horror stories are over blown. I'd spiral wrap them and use a torzite tip top. The Bushido is a decent blank or an MHX standard has some good choices too. 

• Like 1

I think I had a zirconia titanium alps top picked out.  Was definitely gonna spiral wrap. Spiral wrapping an ETEC72MH right now.  Sweet stick for sure.

Can't find much info on the Liberty.  Supposed based off the old shikari blank rolled by Cousins maybe?(at least the 764 is rumored to be, cant find much on the 766.  Was going to call the folks @ Get Bit tomorrow to see what they say).  Kind of leaning that way because the price is right.  Wouldn't mind using the 764 if they think it would work, almost an ounce lighter I think.

Any other input?  Probably gonna pull the trigger tomorrow.

Not sure what Bushido is being recommended, but Bushidos are great blanks at great prices.  I would not hesitate to use one if its specs are right.

You may want to look at the RainShadow REVELATION lineup as well, nice all around blanks. Little bit more durable than our Eternity and Immortal but still highend results. Lot of our Bass Pros, use them for about half of their rod arsenal. You should be able to find them for just $100.

Either the REVC76MH or REVC76H should work for you. Check out the specs at:
http://www.rainshadowrodblanks.com/product-line/revelation-bass-casting/

Glad you've been liking the Eternity and Immortal blanks.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2016 at 9:03 AM, Batson said:

You may want to look at the RainShadow REVELATION lineup as well, nice all around blanks. Little bit more durable than our Eternity and Immortal but still highend results. Lot of our Bass Pros, use them for about half of their rod arsenal. You should be able to find them for just $100.

Either the REVC76MH or REVC76H should work for you. Check out the specs at:
http://www.rainshadowrodblanks.com/product-line/revelation-bass-casting/

Glad you've been liking the Eternity and Immortal blanks.

Which of those two do you recommend?  Just looking at the weights they seem to be a touch heavier than other blanks, not that that makes a huge difference.

I've actually got an ETEC72MH waiting for me to finish wrapping right now.  Then an ETES72ML to be stripped down and built!  Those eternity's are nice!  Excited to see the updated ones

For this build I'm pretty settled on the Liberty blank.  Was able to get in touch with someone that built on the 764 and uses it for exactly what I'm intending to use it for and said if anything it was under rated.  Price is right, weight is nice and i'll get to try something new.  I like to have two of everything though so I will probably build my next flipping stick on a revelation blank.

Will there be any trickle down into the revelation series?  I know the Eternity's are getting updated (Rx9+?) and the Immortals are staying the same.

The Revelation blanks are more of a workhorse than the Eternity lineup – basically you can be rougher with them. Overall they’re great blanks, I’d say go with the MH since you’re talking a little more general purpose.

We’ve heard great things about the Liberty blanks, I personally haven't used one. GetBit is great dealer for us... so we like them.

Nothing changing on the REVELATION series, though some of the RX7 lineup will now be moved into the REVELATION line – the Crankbaits, Flipping, Popping. They use the same materials when built so only minor changes – they just fit better under that brand lineup. We will be introducing a new series of Crankbait rods but you're going to have to wait until July to learn about those.