Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buffdaddy54

SILENCE

Recommended Posts

For the past 18 years I have suffered with a condition called Menieres Disease. It affects the inner ear which in turn affects the hearing and balance center and unfortunately there is no known cure. At its worst it can send me into violent vertigo attacks with nausea, vomiting, and debilitating migraines. These symptoms can last anywhere from a few seconds to 15 minutes, which then leads to hours of recovery.

In the 18 years of dealing with this there has only been a few years in the beginning where the symptoms have been as bad as they have been this year. One of the by products of this disease is a reduction in hearing. If you are lucky Meniers will only affect one ear, in my case it is bilateral. As I am getting older the hearing loss is becoming much more profound. I have a pair of top of the line hearing aides but when the flair ups are bad they are virtually worthless. Along with the loss of hearing comes a removal of oneself from places and people for fear of not being able to hear. Today is a great example, my hearing is so bad that I cannot hear unless you are right next to me. So instead of going through the futility and embarrassment I remove myself from those environments. Not fun! Tired of missing out. 

Normally I am a pretty laid back person and I trust in the sovereignty of our creator but lately it's been getting to me. I am a Para Educator for Special needs middle schoolers, from Autism, Down Syndrome, to kids with severe learning difficulties. So of these guys can barely talk and when they do it is very soft. So you can imagine my struggles. I have missed 10 days this school year due to this disease. Thankfully summer break is almost here so the hearing issue will not be as bad. Sorry for the diatribe but when you are isolated you look for an outlet of any kind. 

Would like to hear some of the struggles you are dealing with. ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good luck to you buddy

I used to always joke about being married and with the inlaws that I wouldn't mind being deaf

However I sat here the other night listing to the birds chirping and the leaves rustling while a storm rolled in and was thankful I could hear it

For you a day on the lake when it doesn't matter if you can hear should do you some good

Your friends will understand just be honest with them

People are more understanding then you think

Like I said I wish you the best and good luck on your journey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've suffered from severe migraines for well over 25 years.  i was always opposed to relying on a medication, but it got to the point of not being able to take it.  at the recommendation of my neurologist, i have been on a daily medication for about 2 years now that actually works fairly well for keeping them at bay!  i went from having a migraine every week, sometimes twice a week to now maybe 1 a month or 1 every other month.  it's been amazing these last 2 years, but when they do come back around it still sucks.  

sorry to hear of your issue there, i can't imagine not being able to hear well.  hope you can find something to help you out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Buffdaddy54 said:

For the past 18 years I have suffered with a condition called Menieres Disease.

My grandmother has Menieres. I know what you're talking about with the nausea fits and the motion sickness like symptoms and the hearing loss. It's been very hard on her. Fortunately it isn't bilateral.

You have my sympathy. Your trust is rightly placed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, buzzed bait said:

i've suffered from severe migraines for well over 25 years.  i was always opposed to relying on a medication, but it got to the point of not being able to take it.  at the recommendation of my neurologist, i have been on a daily medication for about 2 years now that actually works fairly well for keeping them at bay!  i went from having a migraine every week, sometimes twice a week to now maybe 1 a month or 1 every other month.  it's been amazing these last 2 years, but when they do come back around it still sucks.  

sorry to hear of your issue there, i can't imagine not being able to hear well.  hope you can find something to help you out!

 

12 hours ago, buzzed bait said:

i've suffered from severe migraines for well over 25 years.  i was always opposed to relying on a medication, but it got to the point of not being able to take it.  at the recommendation of my neurologist, i have been on a daily medication for about 2 years now that actually works fairly well for keeping them at bay!  i went from having a migraine every week, sometimes twice a week to now maybe 1 a month or 1 every other month.  it's been amazing these last 2 years, but when they do come back around it still sucks.  

sorry to hear of your issue there, i can't imagine not being able to hear well.  hope you can find something to help you out!

Sorry for quoting twice. I also suffered from migraines until saw a specialist at Hopkins who tied them to food. I have cut out a lot and have not suffered nearly as much. Still get them when I have a Menieres attack but that's all.

10 hours ago, Evan K said:

My grandmother has Menieres. I know what you're talking about with the nausea fits and the motion sickness like symptoms and the hearing loss. It's been very hard on her. Fortunately it isn't bilateral.

You have my sympathy. Your trust is rightly placed.

One of the things that has really helped me has been taking two Zyrtec everyday. Regular Zyrtec not Zyrtec D. Really has helped a lot. Food allergies contributed also.

Does your grandmother find that the changing of seasons and change in Barometric pressure affects her. It does me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if it does or not. She lives on the east coast and I'm in the midwest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Buffdaddy54 said:

Sorry for quoting twice. I also suffered from migraines until saw a specialist at Hopkins who tied them to food. I have cut out a lot and have not suffered nearly as much. Still get them when I have a Menieres attack but that's all.

yeah certain foods will trigger them, most especially things with the artificial sweetener Aspartame, that stuff will wreck me!  Can't drink beer because of something with the fermentation process, it too wrecks me, but i can drink liquor no problem!  But those can be avoided mostly, i'm talking about the types of migraines where you wake up between 2 and 4 AM, can't go back to sleep, pray to God you can vomit which oddly makes me feel better and sometimes come pretty close to checking yourself into the ER type of headaches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lifted....hope you all find some relief

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×