Sign in to follow this  
Jaderose

Problem with PQ

I use an old PQ for my froggin reel and tonight I looked down and discovered the level winder was going over to one side and staying there.  I would ride back and forth maybe a 1/4" on that one side (left...looking down at the reel).  If I pushed on it with my thumb it would continue on.  It's a good old reel and I wanna keep it going.  GREAT for froggin.  Any ideas?

There is a cap on the front of the level wind that is probably loose.  You can use flat head screw driver to tighten it.

13 hours ago, Yudo1 said:

There is a cap on the front of the level wind that is probably loose.  You can use flat head screw driver to tighten it.

^^^^ if that doesn´t solve the issue then maybe you should take a look at the pawl, that part suffers all the wear and many times one to the two "teeth" are worn out and you´ll need to replace it.

Tore it down completely today...way further than I should have...lol.  Gave it a complete cleaning and lube.  It was very very dirty.  Just got it back together and now it works better than new.

• Like 1

Keep an eye on that levelwind if was loose for long the pawl and or worm may have been worn some. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

Keep an eye on that levelwind if was loose for long the pawl and or worm may have been worn some. 

I am and I agree.  I think it might be worn a little but she's working good right now and now I know I can replace any part on this darn thing if I need to.  I spent about 8 hours on it yesterday.  I put it back together incorrectly about 4 times...lol.  But now I know and I'm comfortable with it.