Sign in to follow this  
Robert Riley

Chatterbait Size

Just bought a few new chatterbaits, as I have been using them very successfully at a local pond. I decided to buy some in 1/4, 3/8 and 3/4 ounces. The 3/4 is a monster, and I want to catch a fish that will take that size lure! So it has made me wonder what causes you guys to upsize and downsize your lure choice? 

10 minutes ago, Robert Riley said:

Just bought a few new chatterbaits, as I have been using them very successfully at a local pond. I decided to buy some in 1/4, 3/8 and 3/4 ounces. The 3/4 is a monster, and I want to catch a fish that will take that size lure! So it has made me wonder what causes you guys to upsize and downsize your lure choice? 

I've caught truckloads of 1 lb bass with 3/4 oz chatterbaits, what makes me change the size of the bait are the conditions, if I know the fish are deep I will go with a heavy bait that will dive fast and that will continue to run deep as I reel it in, lighter baits "rise" when you reel them in.

• Like 4

I think that the size of the bait fish really has a lot to do with it. I usually try to take a leaf out of the fly-fisherman's book and "match the hatch" with whatever I'm throwing. The size of bass in the pond that you're fishing has something to do with it too. If I knew that the biggest fish in the pond are only about 3 lb with 2 lb being a rare catch, then I wouldn't be throwing a 3/4 oz chatterbait. Plus, alot of times small baits catch big fish. (trick worm anyone?)

6 minutes ago, Raul said:

I've caught truckloads of 1 lb bass with 3/4 oz chatterbaits, what makes me change the size of the bait are the conditions, if I know the fish are deep I will go with a heavy bait that will dive fast and that will continue to run deep as I reel it in, lighter baits "rise" when you reel them in.

On this we agree, big baits don't always mean big fish, I've caught small bream on full size hula poppers longer than the bream.