Sign in to follow this  
Brett's_daddy

New Shimano Caenan 150

I just wondered what everyone thought about the new Shimano Caenan 150 casting reel? It looks like they totally redesigned it and it can be had new for about $80. Any first hand experienced users want to chime in on it? Is it the best $80 reel you can buy for the money? How about the new Daiwa Fuego 100 which is also in this price range...that is all aluminum and has 12 bearings...how would they compare (I know it isn't always about the number of bearings but the quality of the bearings that really matters)?

Anybody with experience regarding these particular reels?

Sorry I don't, but I'd go with the aluminum framed reel.  Even though I'm a Shimano fan, I wouldn't buy the Caenan.  At the minimum I'd go Citica I for Shimano.

I'm curious as to why the aversion to a non metal framed reel? I have a Casitas and it feels solid to me. 

Is a Casitas in the $80 price range? Maybe corrosion resistance? Weight?

8 hours ago, lmbfisherman said:

Sorry I don't, but I'd go with the aluminum framed reel.  Even though I'm a Shimano fan, I wouldn't buy the Caenan.  At the minimum I'd go Citica I for Shimano.

Even thought the Caenan has been totally redesigned?

34 minutes ago, Brett's_daddy said:

Is a Casitas in the $80 price range? Maybe corrosion resistance? Weight?

Even thought the Caenan has been totally redesigned?

To be honest I haven't handled the new one.  The old one flexed way too much.  Maybe do the *** test the reel out program?  

The main reason I don't like the low end models is because they flex a lot and just feel like they will explode anytime they are under pressure.  The Casitas I'll admit looks decent, but I'll probably won't go there since I don't buy below a Citica.

My recommendation that I have personal experience at the low price point is BPS Pro Qualifier.  I still have 3 of them.  They get to the 80 price point during sales.  

Lew's Speed Spool LFS can be found for $80, that'd be the one i'd spend my money on around that price point.