IowaBass15

Top water treble upgrade?

I was a huge megabass pop max lover but was in a pinch when I forgot my top water box at home instead of the boat so grabbed a few rebel magnum pop r's and actually prefer them. Out of the 5 I bought ( same price as one pop max ) 2 came with decently sharp trebles. Either way I want to upgrade to some better hooks and was wondering what you guys prefer?

I generally prefer round bend trebles on topwater baits.  I like the Owner st36's.  I think a size 4 would probably be right for Magnum Pop-r's.

• Like 1

I own the Owner Stingers, Mustad Grip Pins and the Aaron Martin Gammys. I think I'm gonna mostly just be using the Gammys. And like the pros I usually always go up 1 sz but if it's a topwater bait I check to make sure it doesn't affect how it sits on the water first.

I believe I use a size 4 or 5 vmc round bend treble for all topwaters 

I like the gamagatsu  short shank heavy gauge round bends,..size depends on size of lure, usually you can go up 1 size due to the shorter shank

4 hours ago, ripinit said:

Owner st36, no question...

On June 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Jrob78 said:

I generally prefer round bend trebles on topwater baits.  I like the Owner st36's.  I think a size 4 would probably be right for Magnum Pop-r's.

Agreed 100 percent. 

Anything will be better than what they come with as I've had my fair share of pop r's I have had good results with the well priced VMC trebles including the feathered trebles as well. Prior to trying VMC I actually had good results with Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp's from Wal-Mart.

• Like 1