How many of you have had or not had experiences where bass are schooling in the northern states? I usually hear about the big southern reservoirs and offshore school fishing but not much around me. I am more targeting the smaller under 8000 acre lakes. 

8000 acres is plenty big for bass to school, especially smallmouth.  I think a big part of schooling behavior, though, has more to do with the type of forage available than anything else.  If there is a large shad, perch, etc population, you're going to have schooling fish. 

• Like 1

I fish Wisconsin lakes in the spring during the pre-spawn period and I find schooling largemouth and smallmouth. None of the lakes I fish are anywhere near 8000 acres.

Im in northern Missouri and bass can definitely be found in large groups . I have fished the same spot for hours and left fish  still biting . I dont now if bass are actual schooling fish or not but great  number will occupy great structure .

Thanks for the replies, I haven't fished offshore a lot and I am just trying to find out if I should bother looking for schools or just fishing structural elements.