the reel ess

Academy H2O Mettle on sale for $49.95

With free shipping. I know people on here complain about the fact it's usually not repairable. But, honestly, it's priced at a disposable cost. It's as much reel as most $80 name brands. With an average rating of 4.6 stars, out of 5. For all the guys is see posting "BC reel under $100?" you can get two with a 1-piece solid aluminum frame! Or you can get the rod, all for $100. Hard to beat.

• Like 1

I owned one and they were great reels for the price.  you really cant go wrong with them.

• Like 1

Those are great reels.  I own 3 of them and they all get used on a regular basis.  I have one with 6# mono and toss around beetle spins, road runners, and inline spinners for crappie. Another one has 50# braid for frogging.  And the last one is on my "in the car rod" it's spooled with 12# big game and I use it for a little bit of everything.  

I would probably get another one or 2 if they offered then in a different gear ratio but I only need so many 6.3:1 reels.

• Like 1

Excellent for the price...I have one with 17# mono for hollow body frog and it casts a mile

• Like 1

I have 3, great reels for the money. I use them in the kayak or bank fishing so I don't have to worry about getting an expensive reel dirty or dinged up. 

• Like 1

I have three and love them !! I bought them until I could upgrade to the BPS PQ series and have no complaints ... Mine are the previous version which were going on sale for $39 and sometimes even lower . At $49 still a very good deal ! For those that like to experiment with upgrades - there are aftermarket drags and bearings (Boca) which you can find exact fits for on Google .

I thought somebody said that a very well known big name company actually makes replacement parts for these reels that fit perfectly in one of the reviews but they wouldn't name it "out of respect for Academy"...is this true? The review said if you research the right place online you'll find it but I couldn't...anyone else try this and have luck?