Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey guys. Having trouble landing fishing on crank baits. Rattle traps etc. 

i definitely feel like it's the rod I'm using so I'm asking, what is it about a "cranking" rod that makes it different from a regular casting rod. 

Also, if it is imperative I have a actual cranking rod. What are some good cranking rods under 200?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main feature of a "cranking rod" is the moderate action rather than the fast actions that most other rods have.  It means that the rod will bend farther down the rod rather than bending mostly just at the first couple feet.  If you notice the pros on TV, almost all their rods are this slower action, sometimes called parabolic.  The advantage is that it doesn't tend to tear the trebles out of the fish's mouth as faster actions do.  

This having been said, I think any action will work for cranks as long as it isn't too heavy a power.  You do want the tip to flex rather easily.  

The best rod for cranks will be a moderate action rod that has the power matched to the weight of the lures that you intend to cast.  I'm not familiar with the rods available; I build.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MickD said:

The main feature of a "cranking rod" is the moderate action rather than the fast actions that most other rods have.  It means that the rod will bend farther down the rod rather than bending mostly just at the first couple feet.  If you notice the pros on TV, almost all their rods are this slower action, sometimes called parabolic.  The advantage is that it doesn't tend to tear the trebles out of the fish's mouth as faster actions do.  

This having been said, I think any action will work for cranks as long as it isn't too heavy a power.  You do want the tip to flex rather easily.  

The best rod for cranks will be a moderate action rod that has the power matched to the weight of the lures that you intend to cast.  I'm not familiar with the rods available; I build.

Thank you for the information. One last thing, what lb test is best suited for a cranking set up for 1/4-1 1/2oz crankbaits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a pretty big range. For 1/4-3/4 oz baits I like 12lb floro, and for 3/4-2oz I like 16lb floro.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bass_Fanatic said:

That's a pretty big range. For 1/4-3/4 oz baits I like 12lb floro, and for 3/4-2oz I like 16lb floro.  

I'm looking at a rod now that's rated 1/4-1oz lure weight so do you think 15lb floro will work good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12-15lb floro will be perfect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The previous answer about the rod is well said. I use 12# YZH on my cranking BB1. As far as a rods go, I use a Dobyns D806cb for my big cranks, a Veritas 7'6" MH for my other divers, and a Dobyns D685cb for squarebills. Overall, the sensitivity does not matter compared to other techniques. Hence my use of a Veritas rod. (Provided I have the other two $200+ Dobyns for other reasons).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at the Irod Genesis II Gabes Rip Rap Special.  It is light weight,  well made and is composite so it helps with keeping fish hooked. I have been fishingcrankbaits for bass as well as throwing traps for strippers.  Often while fishing for strippers we run into big blue cats.  A 20 + blue on this rod and a Diawa Tatula is a blast.  The rod runs about $150. Check them out on the IROD website.  Tackle Warehouse as well as many local dealers carry Irod now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of Kistler KLX cranking rods I really like, as well as a Daiwa Tatula cranker in your price range.  The Tatula seems like one of those "best bang for the buck" kind of deals....

Tight lines,

Bob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite crank rod right now is a 7' med-mod ethos from acadamy for $59. Ive had good luck with it. Fishes way better than its price point. I dont putas much money into my crank rods like i do bottom contact where sensitivity is so important.  

Another thing on cranks is how you set the hook. Yanking back is bad. You want a slower sweeping motion.  My hookup rate improved greatly after i learned to do this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, desmobob said:

I have a couple of Kistler KLX cranking rods I really like, as well as a Daiwa Tatula cranker in your price range.  The Tatula seems like one of those "best bang for the buck" kind of deals....

Tight lines,

Bob

I've been looking at the daiwa. I already have a tatula rod and love it! I just ordered a Father's Day special from ltb and they're giving away a free daiwa tatula rod. I'm hoping by some crazy twist of fate it's a cranking rod ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2016 at 0:02 AM, Kyrazzy7 said:

I'm looking at a rod now that's rated 1/4-1oz lure weight so do you think 15lb floro will work good?

Unless you are a very good baitcaster, I would not recommend flouro at all.  I know there are a lot of guys who recommend it, and I admit I have not tried all brands of flouro, but I have tried a few.  I have not found one that casts anywhere near as well as mono.  15 pound mono, exc maybe for the extra tough stuff, will cast very well.  And will work well for all lures including surface, which flouro doesn't work well on because it sinks affecting the action of the surface lure.

If you want to try braid, which with its zero stretch is very sensitive, helpful for jigging/finesse, get about 40 pound test.  Some like even heavier.  But get a premium braid that is tightly woven.  I prefer Suffix Premium Braid or their newer stuff with the gore thread.   Without the gore thread it will have neutral bouyancy, like mono.  With the thread it will sink faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MickD said:

Unless you are a very good baitcaster, I would not recommend flouro at all.  I know there are a lot of guys who recommend it, and I admit I have not tried all brands of flouro, but I have tried a few.  I have not found one that casts anywhere near as well as mono.  15 pound mono, exc maybe for the extra tough stuff, will cast very well.  And will work well for all lures including surface, which flouro doesn't work well on because it sinks affecting the action of the surface lure.

If you want to try braid, which with its zero stretch is very sensitive, helpful for jigging/finesse, get about 40 pound test.  Some like even heavier.  But get a premium braid that is tightly woven.  I prefer Suffix Premium Braid or their newer stuff with the gore thread.   Without the gore thread it will have neutral bouyancy, like mono.  With the thread it will sink faster.

I ended up getting a dobyns champions xp glass cranking rod paired with a shimano curado 201 6.3.1 with 15lb sun line fluoro. And so far works like a charm and cast for miles. I'm happy so far. Thank you for your input! I definitely appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×