AdBass

Smaller flipping hooks for compact punching

The average size bass where I'm fishing is around 2 pounds and the full punching rigs seem to be a little much on some days. Along with trimming skirts and my soft plastics, I've been experimenting with a few different flipping hooks to give myself a smaller, more compact profile. Tube flipping hooks allow me to use the size plastics I want but I am not happy with the bend. Essentially what I am looking for is a finesse flipping hook with a much heavier gauge wire to avoid straightening out the hook. I've only been able to see the gamakatsu and trokar hooks in person and was wondering if anybody knew of a different brand or possibly a different style hook that might work.

VMC's hooks run small.  I think they make them down to a size 2.  I like them.

19 minutes ago, webertime said:

VMC's hooks run small.  I think they make them down to a size 2.  I like them.

Yup. VMC had a really small heavy flipping hook I use for small beavers and bb crickets

Try the 3" Pit Boss...

The VMC Flipping hooks come as small as #2. I rarely go smaller than 1/0 and they tear up baits since most of the hook is tubing to keep the bait in place, but they are good if you are not going super heavy with line....

BPS makes good hooks for flipping in the Magna Lock or super locks and they come in smaller sizes, I usually use 3/0-4/0 on most baits, 5/0 is heavy duty, Just make sure you match the hook to line. I know with VMC they make 2 types of flipping hooks...One is a thinner guage, one is much thicker, I would visit the VMC website and I am sure they give line ratings..The one's I have in #1-1/0 are very small and I never go heavier than 14lb test but that is just me....Smaller gap is less likely to bend anyhow....

owner riggin hooks with a gambler bb cricket is what I use when I go small.nice short hook,strong,sharp as all get out.