AustinHellickson

Jig Fishing

I recently purchased 2 of the 1/8oz. Strike king jigs. After I bought it and opened the package up I looked at my bait caster rods recommend  weight for lures and it is 1/4 to 3/4oz.  Could I cast a distance with that light of a lure?  Or should I use my spinning combo to catch with it?

-Thanks

Austin

That's pretty light for BC gear but set your reel and try it. You shouldn't have to cast a jig all that far. at least I dont

• Like 1

If you'll be adding a trailer to it, there shouldn't be much difficulty. There's a bit of a learning curve when it comes to throwing lighter/smaller stuff with baitcasters, but it's a short one.  One word of advice, at first, don't attempt long distance casts. Unless you're looking to also learn how to pick out backlashes. :D

• Like 7

I agree about adding a trailer to add some extra weight. Also make certain it is one that is somewhat heavier and aerodynamic. Add something that is full of action like a rage craw and try casting it into the wind and your reel will likely look like a likely destination for eagle and her chicks. I like the small beaver style baits like the SK baby rodent or the RI smallie beaver for example when trying to add weight and bulk to a jig (the trade off is that these types have less action and are better for neutral fish or colder water). The smaller beaver style trailers have good mass/weight to them and are very aerodynamic to cast.  

I prefer spinning gear for that lightweight of jig myself. With a trailer it is doable with a baitcaster though. Also depends how good you are with baitcasting equipment.

• Like 1

Are you sure you have Strike King 1/8 jigs?

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WRB said:

Are you sure you have Strike King 1/8 jigs?

Tom

most likely the bitsy bugs

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, buzzed bait said:

most likely the bitsy bugs

Bitzy Bug doesn't have a 1/8 oz size, smallest I see is 3/16 oz.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buzzed bait said:

I see said the blind man, the Mini is 1/8 oz. You can also add a 1/8 oz bullet weight in front of the jig to make it 1/4 oz, works when you need a little more weight to any jig.

Tom

• Like 2

I think you could answer the question by giving it a shot. I could certainly cast an 1/8oz jig quite a ways with my baitcaster setups. Just see what works best and go from there.

• Like 1

As others mentioned adding a trailer will help you out plenty. Just be sure your brakes are set good. 

• Like 1

Don't believe the Mini 1/8 oz jig will have a hook big enough for common 3"-4" craw size trailers.

need to look for 2"-2 1/2" or possibly cut down a 3" if the body isn't too big in diameter for a (1/0 hook?). Splitting a straight tail worm should work cut to 2 1/2-3" leaving 3/4" for the hook end.

Don't believe a small soft plastic trailer will add 1/16 oz.....

Tom

• Like 1