Onvacation

Would like some recent Orlando reports

Hey Florida folks.  I will be staying in Orlando near the intersection of 192 and 429 from July 16 to 23. I already have an early morning Toho trip booked on the 21st, but I want to get out with my wife and do some bank fishing.

To say the number of bodies of water near Orlando is overwhelming would be an understatement. Browsing through some past posts, Underhill and Ivanhoe seem to pop up a lot in regards to decent numbers and some possibly stout fish.  They look to be about a half hour or so drive from where I am. I plan on fishing morning light to about 10 am.  My wife would like the option of heading out in the early evening and fishing until dark. I'll only have two rods, M spinning rod and MH baitcaster.  

Any suggestions from locals on baits, part of the lake to fish or if I am missing some better opportunities closer to where I am staying would be appreciated. Recent reports would be awesome.

My wife is a volume fisher and will toss a Ned rig all day long for one pounders. She will be doing some sort of finesse fishing. I would be happy to get a half dozen in the three to five pound range but have no problems working for a big girl. I'll toss whatever it takes, but we will be limited without a boat.  

If anybody wants to hook up some morning and show me your local hidden hotspot, that would be great.  I promise I won't tell. 

• Like 1

East of your location, the best for bank fishing would be Ivanhoe, Underhill, and Baldwin imo.  Check out Turkey Lake park, they have morning boat rentals (you need a reservation) and I believe you can bank fish for a few bucks. Just west of where you are staying, Take 192 to 27 go south a mile or two, you will come to a ball park, in the back there is a boat ramp/dock on lake Davenport.  If you go north on 27, there are a ton of lakes in the Clermont area, I'm not sure of how many are able to be bank fished.  Google earth the area, you may find some docks, ramps, etc.    Turkey Lake info  phone 407-246-4486  email turkeylakepark@cityoforlando.net  boat rental $30/4 hours 7-11am only and you need a reservation. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Helps a lot. Thanks. Now if you had to pick two of those spots, which ones would it be?  The Turkey Lake boat rental sounds appealing and I've been torn between the other three you mentioned. 

From where you are staying, fishing Underhill and Baldwin would probably be the easiest.  Both are relatively close to each other, and both can be fished along the southern parts of the lake. On Baldwin you may have to fish around some brush on the bank. As far as lures go, try fogs in the evening, anything else make sure its texas rigged.  If I were you I would try the boat rental at Turkey lake,  I've heard of some big fish out of there.  

Thanks for the added info.  I have a boat booked at Turkey Lake the Sunday I get there.  The lady I talked to on the phone said she knew nothing about fishing but they had a picture of a ten pounder that was caught on July 3rd and all of the other people told her that was good.  Lol. I love fishing frogs and any other top water so that should work.  Wife will be on worm patrol and she is a die hard Ned rig fan so it should be interesting watching her toss out a 1/20 oz jig.  

That 10lber doesn't surprise me, Turkey Lake gets very little fishing pressure.  I got my PB on lake Hiawassee just north of Turkey Lake.  Post some pics of the boats and any catches.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

If I'm correct, Lake Ivanhoe, Underhill, and Turkey all have higher population rates of bass over 20 inches per acre than Toho or Okechobbee, the lakes are just a lot smaller so the overall number is significantly lower. Toho and Okechobbee have them beat once you get to 8+ pound fish.

I believe Ivanhoe, Underhill and Turkey lake are part of Orlando's fab five lakes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chitura said:

I believe Ivanhoe, Underhill and Turkey lake are part of Orlando's fab five lakes.

Yes they are.  I started fishing in Florida when I was 6. Forty-three years later will be the first time I have fished freshwater in Florida.  To say I am a bit stoked to have the potential to catch bass larger than our typical Missouri one to two pounder Would be downplaying my enthusiasm a bit.   I have four different days planned on at least three different lakes.  I am guessing my all time biggest Missouri bass of 5 lbs 2 oz will be beaten. I'm even more excited about my wife catching something with some size. She is already planning a trip back in September. 

My first Orlando adventure is over.  Man was it hot.  Water temps in the high 80's and typical Florida heat and humidity.  

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.  They worked out well. Orlando area is loaded with places to fish.  It is overwhelming in a great way.  

Day one of fishing was at Turkey Lake. What a cool place.  I have no pics....sorry. $30 boat rental for a sixteen foot Jon boat with trolling motor, live well and fish finder.  We found out about the live well when it accidentally started filling.  All I heard was rushing water and when I asked my wife to help find the source, she just said she was afraid to look.  Lol

We fished from about 7:30 to a little before 11 and caught four bass all just over a pound.  Two other boats were skunked so I felt pretty good.  They were small but had some Florida fight in them. An added benefit is my wife caught her first chatter bait bass.  She really enjoyed feeling the hit since her normal fishing is all finesse.  Pic below. 

The next evening I went to Underhill for a half hour before dark and threw a frog.  I was the only one bank fishing and it was all clogged up near the bank.  I caught a two and a half pounder and reeled in about ten pounds of muck with him.  My 16 year old nephew was with me and got to see the fish nail the frog.  Needless to say, that moment piqued his interest in fishing.  Once it got dark, we left so it was a quick day of fishing.

Spent five hours over two days at Ivanhoe.  It had "successful day of fishing" written all over it. Beautiful lake, great bank to fish from, awesome cover, no one else fishing.  I caught nothing.  

Went on Toho with Steve Boyd of Florida Bass Adventures.  He spent a lot of time teaching me techniques and working with me on casting light baits with a baitcaster.  He really helped open my eyes to my casting technique and was a very good teacher.  We hit it off pretty well and I caught a half dozen bass in the one to three pound range during the four hour trip. One pic is below. Toho is an awesome piece of water and I was shocked that we were one of only a handful of boats out.  

So what's next?  It's back to Orlando the last week of September for a few days.  I WILL catch some fish at Ivanhoe and the wife wants to hit Turkey Lake again.  Maybe even two days.  Of course I've already talked to Steve about a day on Toho as well.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I too have fished Turkey Lake many times when taking a trip to Orlando.  The boat rental is a great deal.  I have caught a bunch of four up too eight pound bass in that lake.  Glad you caught some nice bass.

Glad to see you had a good time, and coming back when it cools down a little.  It's been brutal so far this summer because of the dry air keeping rain chances down.  Did the Turkey Lake park have a topo map of the lake?  Also, where on the lake did you fish?

Yes, there is a detailed topo map of the lake on line.  You can print it for free, laminate, and take to the lake with you. I have fished every inch of the lake after about 8 rentals visits over the years. The north end has a feeder stream coming into the lake.  I did very well snapping a wacky trick worms off the bottom and letting them settle back down, in a deep Lilly pad field.  Caught good number, and good size here.  Between  the north section and the south section of the lake is a narrow cut with a deep drop-off.  I have done well here with senkos in this area.  On the east side there are the apartments with a big dock.  I caught a big one under the dock.  Open water a blue /chrome rattle trap was very good.  The south east corner has a out flow area.  There is current here and some nice senko fish. 

I have bank fished the entire west side of the lake later in the day and caught some quality bass.  All catch and release, limited access, has kept the bass population in good shape.  The topo map will help while fishing from the boat.  All trips were different with numbers.  The best day was about 35 bass for a half day and big fish was close to 8 pounds.  Good luck if you go back, and let us know how you do.

Looking at the map, there is a point near the cricket grounds.  That was our starting spot and we caught three of the four there.  We made our way around to the turnpike but picked up number four near the docks on the way there.  

Geo g, I cannot locate this topo map.  Can you help out with where I can find it?  My wife told me today that we may be going to Melbourne instead of Orlando in early October.  She said she Googled fishing and I might want to try a place called Stick Marsh.  She has great ideas.  Lol.