Bpett2552

Pennsylvania Help!

Hey guys,

I'm from southeast PA (right on the NJ border). I have a fishing camp up in Maine where I do a lot of fishing and am very succesful. However down home in PA I struggle, which results in me not fishing as much as I should. I want to perform better on my home waters. I fish primarily from shore on small man made resevoirs. (Fairly tiny, made for water overflow). Some examples are Lake Minsi, Leaser lake or Hidden lake. I also have a float tube. Any Largemouth advice from local guys? I would love to hear how you guys are catching bass.

Thanks.

Flip Texas rigs to cover and slow falling weightless texas rigs and carolina rigs should do well. Small profile baits. (Baby brush hog, finesse worms) Leaser lake with clear water and all that cover now is somewhat a needle in a haystack. Haha. I would even try a medium diving  crank or squarebill. 

• Like 2

Squarebills, jerkbaits and ned rigs.

I assume we fish similar waters, I've had a lot of luck with hardbaits this year.

• Like 1

I would like to suggest some techniques that work for me, but first I've observed something that I think is more important than what you're throwing. Timing, what time of day are you fishing. Living near one of the largest lakes in our area, I witness far, far too often, people going fishing at the wrong times of the day. I understand, "you go when you can", but heading to the lake on a busy Saturday at 7:30  and having expectations of catching fish, is just a waste of time. My advice, this time of year, fish before the sun is up, fish an hour prior to the sun going down(especially as a bank fisherman). Start there, then we can discuss techniqies.

• Like 2

Solid advice from the replies you got. I can't add anything to it except to say keep fishing. Learn from your failures as well as your successes. If you are not catching bass in an area with a certain bait, using a technique mix it up. Change until something works. Patterning a lake in summer time is one of the most difficult things to do I think. Good luck and enjoy your time fishing.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies! I would have got back to you guys sooner but I was in maryland fishing a tournament. I will try out what you guys are suggesting.

On 7/12/2016 at 7:40 AM, Dogmatic said:

I would like to suggest some techniques that work for me, but first I've observed something that I think is more important than what you're throwing. Timing, what time of day are you fishing. Living near one of the largest lakes in our area, I witness far, far too often, people going fishing at the wrong times of the day. I understand, "you go when you can", but heading to the lake on a busy Saturday at 7:30  and having expectations of catching fish, is just a waste of time. My advice, this time of year, fish before the sun is up, fish an hour prior to the sun going down(especially as a bank fisherman). Start there, then we can discuss techniqies.

In terms of time I usually am busting the banks during the heat of the day. Bad idea of course but its when I can get out. I think fishing early and at dusk is a much better idea just as you suggested.

• Like 2

It is a tough question that isn't a one size fits all. For example,  today I fished 3 different bodies of water and all 3 had different results and fished different patterns.  First lake is a deep clear water lake with little shore cover, but lots of off shore structure. I had some success with the ned rig and drop shot. Caught a few smallies.  

Second lake is a small shallow lake with lots of algae. Had a tough time here, and decided to head to another spot.

Third spot, a canal, was great. Caught about 25 bass and a few pickerel. Most of my bites came on a weightless texas rigged senko, and a Keitech crazy flapper texas rigged. Also threw a spinnerbait. was working laydowns, grass matts, and lilly pads.