Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tje0705

Irod Genesis II Fred's Magic Stick Question

Recommended Posts

Hey guys im thinking about getting the irod freds magic stick for a dedicated swim jig rod. From everything I have read abou this rod its a great all around rod that can be used for many things. I was wondering how soft the tip of this rod is. I will be using it to throw 3/8 and 1/2 oz swim jigs. I want this rod to have a soft enough tip to be able to make accurate roll casts and cover as much water as possible but also be strong enough to be able to pitch into heavy cover and be able to get a fish out, and was wondering if this will be the right rod for that. Thanks for the info guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is an incredible rod. I am also a member of The Bass College and STeve the owner became friend with the owner of Irod. He began ordering his rods in groups for the members.  Several own the Fred's magic stick. I have even had one in my hand. As good as that rod is for what it is built to I think it is going to be a bit too heavy for your 3/9 ounce jigs.  It is a great jig and big worm rod nut it rates 1/2 to 2 ounce.  The IRG 744C would handle the 3/8 ounce jig really well but not the frog so much.

When I was not sure about a crankbait-rattle trap rod I called out there and they were terrific. Give them a call and talk to them. They know their stuff. Here is a number for them. 818 312-2704

 I ended up with a  Gabes Rip Rap Special and love it. My wife handles a fly rod perfectly and any spinning right up to surf gear, but wont touch a baitcaster. I set her up with an Irod Genesis II Fred's Power Finesse Heavy spinning rod. That thing is amazing, it can handle a frog or a jig with no problem, but matched with a Shimano Symetre it feel like there is nothing in your hand.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

That is an incredible rod. I am also a member of The Bass College and STeve the owner became friend with the owner of Irod. He began ordering his rods in groups for the members.  Several own the Fred's magic stick. I have even had one in my hand. As good as that rod is for what it is built to I think it is going to be a bit too heavy for your 3/9 ounce jigs.  It is a great jig and big worm rod nut it rates 1/2 to 2 ounce.  The IRG 744C would handle the 3/8 ounce jig really well but not the frog so much.

When I was not sure about a crankbait-rattle trap rod I called out there and they were terrific. Give them a call and talk to them. They know their stuff. Here is a number for them. 818 312-2704

 I ended up with a  Gabes Rip Rap Special and love it. My wife handles a fly rod perfectly and any spinning right up to surf gear, but wont touch a baitcaster. I set her up with an Irod Genesis II Fred's Power Finesse Heavy spinning rod. That thing is amazing, it can handle a frog or a jig with no problem, but matched with a Shimano Symetre it feel like there is nothing in your hand.   

Have you handled the 744? I already have a frog rod so the 744 could work for me. Hows the tip on it? also ive never weighed it out but usually when I throw a 1/2 oz swim jig im doing it with a gambler little ez as a trailer, do you think the 744 would be able to handle this with it being only rated to 3/4oz? Im sure it probably would but just wondering what your opinion would be. Thnaks for the help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I think it would handle it well.  Most rods will handle a little bit more weight, but may struggle when the lure weight is less than its rating.. My powell 683 is the most versatile rod in my arsenal. When Tackle Tour did a review they said it handled lures perfectly in its rated spec. It did not handle weights below the1/4 rating but they threw the book at it it above the 3/4 and it laughed at them They even threw a big 8 inch 2 ounce swimbait and it did it well. They were amazed.  

You can still give Irod a call. Where do you live and have you checked to see if you have a dealer locally?  

I have had one in my hand but not recently.  I am blessed to have Anglers Express a local tackle shop nearby. We have a Bass Pro in Baltimore, no less than 20 minutes from their shop and a Cabelas  40 minutes away in Delaware. This shop opened just 6 months ago. If you intend to thrive in this local you must be different. The two owners are tournament guys (one tidal and one reservoir) so they have Dobyns, Powell, Irod, Cashion, Duckett and more. They have most of the line ups too. So I can go put my grubby paws on one if I want. That is how I ended up choosing Lindas rod, it was in stock.

Let me throw another monkey wrench into the mix. have you ever looked at a Powell rod. Go check out a  Powell Max3D 734 CFHeavy. That might be exactly what you want. 

You will notice both rods are very similar- one is 7"4" with a power rating of 4 and one is 7'3" with a power rating of 4. The price is within $10.00 so that is irrelevant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IRG723C “Stone Cold Swim & Vibrating Jig”

Designed by Marty stone for Swim and Vibrating Jigs but also a great rod for most other reaction baits. The tip is not only perfect for hooking reaction fish but also aids with effortless roll casting.

Length: 7’2″

Lure weight:3/8-1 1/2

Line weight:12-25

Power: Med. Heavy

Action:moderate Fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Catt said:

IRG723C “Stone Cold Swim & Vibrating Jig”

Designed by Marty stone for Swim and Vibrating Jigs but also a great rod for most other reaction baits. The tip is not only perfect for hooking reaction fish but also aids with effortless roll casting.

Length: 7’2″

Lure weight:3/8-1 1/2

Line weight:12-25

Power: Med. Heavy

Action:moderate Fast

x2.

I own this rod and use it for both swim, and vibrating jigs. It is a great rod for these applications. You will love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, trupp30 said:

x2.

I own this rod and use it for both swim, and vibrating jigs. It is a great rod for these applications. You will love it.

Does this rod have enough backbone for real heavy cover?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have pulled a few bass out of lily pads with it, without any problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×