Jump to content
Dane Morris

Snap Swivels for Spooks???????

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I was watching one of Glenn's video about how to fish a spook and I think using a snap swivel could be very useful. I was wondering what you guys think a good size for the swivel would be for my spook. Has anyone tried the pro sizzle by livingston yet, that seemed kinda cool. Anyways thank you guys so much for the help.

Tight Lines!

Dane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not big on snap swivels, but I do remove key rings and use snaps for crankbaits.  It allows the same free action as the rings and allows for quick changes.  You can look at the pound test ratings of snaps rut on the packaging.  I typically use a 40lb test snap. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch the video again, he was using a snap,..not a snapswivel

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pro sizzle is amazing, I love it. It's thicker than a spook and makes a big splash if your not carefull. I caught some big fish and some dinks on the big size and nothing on the JR yet which is odd. I would tie a rapala or a loop knot for spook style lures and never a swivel 20160626_094928.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a snap for crankbaits, spooks, jerkbaits, poppers and lipless cranks and I always take the split ring off. I wouldn't use a snap swivel, just a normal snap will be your best bet. I'm using 20# snaps right now but might go up to something stouter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dane, you would be fine to use a snap swivel or a snap. Either will work for you. I try to use the smallest size so i think either a 0 or 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A duo-loc snap is a good choice.  I haven't found a snap-swivel that is up to the task.  They were originally invented for attaching trolling weights to the main line, not lures to the terminal end.  Wrong tool for the purpose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A swivel is needed when trolling lures or maybe with spinners to avoid line twist, otherwise a snap is convenient to use as has been mentioned. Snaps are great timesavers if you use one rod and dont want to constantly re-tie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, U-boat Aficionado said:

A swivel is needed when trolling lures or maybe with spinners to avoid line twist, otherwise a snap is convenient to use as has been mentioned. Snaps are great timesavers if you use one rod and dont want to constantly re-tie. 

If you don't constantly re-tie, you WILL break off fish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, U-boat Aficionado said:

A swivel is needed when trolling lures or maybe with spinners to avoid line twist, otherwise a snap is convenient to use as has been mentioned. Snaps are great timesavers if you use one rod and dont want to constantly re-tie. 

 

3 hours ago, J Francho said:

A duo-loc snap is a good choice.  I haven't found a snap-swivel that is up to the task.  They were originally invented for attaching trolling weights to the main line, not lures to the terminal end.  Wrong tool for the purpose.

 

4 hours ago, WIGuide said:

Dane, you would be fine to use a snap swivel or a snap. Either will work for you. I try to use the smallest size so i think either a 0 or 1

 

5 hours ago, adam lancia said:

I use a snap for crankbaits, spooks, jerkbaits, poppers and lipless cranks and I always take the split ring off. I wouldn't use a snap swivel, just a normal snap will be your best bet. I'm using 20# snaps right now but might go up to something stouter.

 

5 hours ago, adam lancia said:

I use a snap for crankbaits, spooks, jerkbaits, poppers and lipless cranks and I always take the split ring off. I wouldn't use a snap swivel, just a normal snap will be your best bet. I'm using 20# snaps right now but might go up to something stouter.

 

7 hours ago, ErikmonBillsfon said:

The pro sizzle is amazing, I love it. It's thicker than a spook and makes a big splash if your not carefull. I caught some big fish and some dinks on the big size and nothing on the JR yet which is odd. I would tie a rapala or a loop knot for spook style lures and never a swivel 20160626_094928.jpg

 

7 hours ago, Keith "Hamma" Hatch said:

Watch the video again, he was using a snap,..not a snapswivel

 

12 hours ago, Turkey sandwich said:

I'm not big on snap swivels, but I do remove key rings and use snaps for crankbaits.  It allows the same free action as the rings and allows for quick changes.  You can look at the pound test ratings of snaps rut on the packaging.  I typically use a 40lb test snap. 

Thanks so much for the advice you guys I really appreciate it.

Tight Lines!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisher-O-men said:

If you don't constantly re-tie, you WILL break off fish!

Well, that hasn't been my luck but sure, every so often a snap needs a new knot. But I can change out lures a few times before doing so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×