Sign in to follow this  
Fish Whacker

Reel not engaging immediately

I clean my own reels and generally get good results But on a couple of my baitcasters, when I cast and the to re-engage the reel, it feels like the pinion engages in but Not all the way.

It takes a couple of seconds before it fully engages - almost like it is 2 stages. Obviously it is some part of my cleaning or lubing process that makes this happen.

Any ideas??

These are shimano 200e models - Citicas and Chronarchs

Are you referring to the clutch bearing and innertube  If you are, I usually take a q-tip with a little reelx and swab out the inside of the bearing of excess grease and put the innertube back completely dry

Check the spool bearing retainer pin to make sure it's centered on the spool shaft.  An off centered one may not engage the pinion completely until the handle is turned.

• Like 1

Thanks, PapaJoe, will do. That sounds like a good tip

22 hours ago, Fish Whacker said:

Are you referring to the clutch bearing and innertube  If you are, I usually take a q-tip with a little reelx and swab out the inside of the bearing of excess grease and put the innertube back completely dry

Clutch cam, clutch plate, and clutch cam retainer.   These parts can have enough surface friction to prevent the reel from completely engaging when the anti reverse ratchet strikes the clutch paw.  Also make sure your yoke springs are not compressed.

• Like 1

Thank you, Molay,

2 hours ago, Molay1292 said:

Clutch cam, clutch plate, and clutch cam retainer.   These parts can have enough surface friction to prevent the reel from completely engaging when the anti reverse ratchet strikes the clutch paw.  Also make sure your yoke springs are not compressed.

I will definitely be paying more attention to this and make sure they're getting adequate lubrication. What grease do you like? I've been using SuperLube but since I found out that it doesn't mix well with oil and some of the greases do, I am looking for a better grease.

Thanks so much