Sign in to follow this  
Desync

Black Max BMAX2 reel & rod combo questions

Years ago I found the Black Max rod and reel combo at Wal-Mart so I picked it up, being mainly a spinning reel type I never used it much. Here recently I been wanting to get back into fishing and had a few questions about the rod / reel combo.

I noticed it had Drag Star, Spool Tension Knob, and a MagTrax Brake Adjustment Dial.

I know the spool tension knob is for the lure, you usually set it to where the lure slowly falls to the floor, what's the Brake Adjustment Dial and the Drag star used for or what setting should I set it to?

I live here in Alabama by the Coosa River and I usually fish below the dam here and we have bass, catfish, big stripe bass, I usually don't really fish for one fish specifically, just whatever bites usually on my pearl white super fluke.

The drag star is your drag adjustment control. The brake adjustment is used to control the speed of the spool during the cast. This along with the spool adjustment help give you the greatest distance without having a backlash.Go over to youtube and watch some videos about using a baitcaster or adjusting a baitcaster. If you see the term dual breaking or dual brakes it does not apply to your reel.  If you leave the brake control at zero  adjust the spool tension first and then add braking you should learn easily how to maximize your distance without suffering from a backlash. You will need to tweak the settings with different weight lures. It takes a bunch of practice so do not get too upset or frustrated. If you keep things a little on the tighter side then learn to use your thumb to slow the line down as the cast is nearly ended you can loosen up a little on the brakes and then the spool tension.  Ultimately you will find that some of the newer reels in the $100 price range can perform better resulting in longer and easier casts.  Above all enjoy yourself.  A baitcaster can make fishing heavier baits more efficient and more enjoyable.

49 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

The drag star is your drag adjustment control. The brake adjustment is used to control the speed of the spool during the cast. This along with the spool adjustment help give you the greatest distance without having a backlash.Go over to youtube and watch some videos about using a baitcaster or adjusting a baitcaster. If you see the term dual breaking or dual brakes it does not apply to your reel.  If you leave the brake control at zero  adjust the spool tension first and then add braking you should learn easily how to maximize your distance without suffering from a backlash. You will need to tweak the settings with different weight lures. It takes a bunch of practice so do not get too upset or frustrated. If you keep things a little on the tighter side then learn to use your thumb to slow the line down as the cast is nearly ended you can loosen up a little on the brakes and then the spool tension.  Ultimately you will find that some of the newer reels in the $100 price range can perform better resulting in longer and easier casts.  Above all enjoy yourself.  A baitcaster can make fishing heavier baits more efficient and more enjoyable.

Appreciate the response, makes sense. I was just figuring the spool tension knob done that and that was all that was needed, but I guess a 2 system like that makes it easier for fine tuning.

In my opinion I don't really see a lot of this stuff that time and technology has made really be a huge help. Of course everyone wants an easier and better way to do things, so far my personal best was when I was 6 brought in a 9lb 8oz bass on my old zebco 30/30 with a tore up junebug worm my dad threw in the bottom of the boat when he put a new one on.

Well I see a sorta three tiers of reels and there really is a noticeable performance difference between them. The entry level baitcasting reels usually retail for under $80.  Now this group has been improved over the last few years but mostly by using a little better bearings and often they will have between 3 and 5 bearings.  The next group retail at $100 to $200 and these usually have higher end bearings, better gearing and much smoother drag systems. The braking systems are much better as well.  These attributes allow the user to effortlessly get great casting distance and play a fish well.  I believe more work and improvements have gone into this group as a whole than the other groups.  The third is the really spectacular reels that quite frankly I can not afford to know much about. These reels retail all of the way up to $500 or $600 and these reels are the Cadillacs and here it is much more about superior feel, looks and size.  Happily, for those on a tighter budget, the internet and some of the larger stores like Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, and Cabelas and Academy frequently offer some of these mid grade reels for budget prices. Twice this spring i caught A Diawa Exceler that retails for $100 sell for $60,, That is a really well built reel, I found a Diawa Tatula and Tatula Type R models on equally  good sales.The Tatula is sold for $149 everywhere and I got it delivered from Amazon for $109. The Tatula Type R sells for $199 and I purchased some for $130 delivered. These are truly competition level equipment for those prices.

Similarly for rods there have always been the rods like an Ugly Stick or Berkley Cherrywood, and Zebco that retailed under $50. But there has been an amazing improvement in graphite that give thinner blanks with much more sensitivity. Again there is a difference in price groups again. The market of rods that retail below $125 now includes some really light crisp sensitive rods with good components including guide that no more than 5 years ago would have been found on rods selling upwards of $300.  Now the $125 to $225 priced rods include some amazing rods that are equal to some high end rods from just a few years ago. The graphite is really sensitive, have lightweight reel seats that allow contact with the rod blank and have guides that are lighter, and built to last when using modern braided lines.  Companies like Powell, Irod, Dobyns, Diawa, St Croix and others have really steppe up the under $200 market. Go put some of them in your hand.  It is easy to notice the difference.

There are lure categories that never existed before and that has changed things as well.

Welcome back in the sport. Tight Lines

This should help explain the different things you can adjust on your baitcaster: