Sign in to follow this  
PhenoM

Bass Fishing the Mississippi River (Missouri)

I haven't bass fished a river in years. Do you guys have any go-to's just for river fishing? I feel lost here, lol. I'm in Missouri if that makes any difference. We plan on hitting the water at 8am. The high is suppose to be a shocking 82 degrees tomorrow which is low for an August Day in Missouri.

Rip rap banks , wing dams and creeks . My favorite carnk bait for the big river is the Bomber Flat A in chartreuse . Small heavy spinnerbaits work well in the current .  Good luck.

I'd figure a 3/4oz twin spin would work on both sides of a wing dam, while tossing a big topwater (Whopper Plopper 130) or glide bait (S-Waver 168) could elicit a strike from a big, ornery wiper.

Not sure about the mississippi, but I fish the arkansas river alot here in arkansas and they're probably pretty similar. Right now i'd be close to the main channel fishing current breaks (wing dams, jetties, etc.). I would also look at sand bars that have deep drops nearby, bait and current. Recently the bass on the arkansas moved from the jetties to the sand bars. Been doing well all summer on deep diving crank baits in citrus shad, chug bugs, and a candy bug zoom worm. white spinner bait is always good on the river as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bagofdonuts said:

Not sure about the mississippi, but I fish the arkansas river alot here in arkansas and they're probably pretty similar. Right now i'd be close to the main channel fishing current breaks (wing dams, jetties, etc.). I would also look at sand bars that have deep drops nearby, bait and current. Recently the bass on the arkansas moved from the jetties to the sand bars. Been doing well all summer on deep diving crank baits in citrus shad, chug bugs, and a candy bug zoom worm. white spinner bait is always good on the river as well.

Let e ask you this . Have you ever done well on  sand points on the downstream side of islands ?

Yes. One of my hottest spots right now is just that. Just make sure there is some good current and bait fish schools. 

• Like 1

Living in St. Louis my whole life, this whole thread intrigues me. Where on the Mississippi are you guys fishing for bass? I know where I wouldn't do it, but obviously you guys are a bit north and having some success.  

• Like 1

I fished  pools 22 and 23 . 

Ok. So I am in the pool 25 and 26 catfish and sunken stolen cars zone.