Sign in to follow this  
RedHeadAngler

Curado 70 vs Alphas 103

Which one of these reels would perform better in a finesse situation with light lines and lures? I'm kind of of biased towards Shimano because they have treated me well in the past. I would be interested in some other opinions.

The comparison should really be between the Alphas SV (SV105) and the Curado 70. Comparing the Curado 70 to a reel from the mid-2000's isn't exactly fair.

To the question at hand, unless you feel like tinkering, tuning, and modding, go with the Curado.

I have no experience with the Alpha, with that said, I recently purchased a Curado 70 xg for 1/4 ounce Yellow Magics. It throws them great with little effort, try and use both if possible.

I've been reading up on the Curado 70s and I'm sure I'll pull the trigger soon.

I've always been a Lew's guy. The 200i just doesn't feel great to me, but the 70's design is on the money. I need a new jig reel and the 7.2:1 looks like it'll fit the bill.

I agree with CGriner - If the Alphas SV 105 was in consideration it would be tough to beat for lighter baits. What do you consider to be light or at least light to you? I haven't used the Curado 70 yet my Alphas SV 105 stock will outcast my any my Shimano 50 series reels for 1/4 oz baits. The Alphas 103 is discontinued so you would have to buy one second hand. For the 103 you would be looking at the Purple 103, Alphas R edition, Alphas 103 Type F, and Alphas 103 ITO. The breaking profile of these will all be Mag V. This breaking profile can be hit or miss for casting. I had a 103 with upgraded bearings and supertuned that was pretty uncontrollable until I put a SV spool in it. Prior, it would backlash easily with any type or size of bait and with fluorocarbon and braid alike.

IMO the Alphas SV 105 is a very user friendly reel for baits around that 1/4 oz mark. It is more costly than the Curado 70, so if price is an option I would opt for the Shimano.

• Like 1