Western-Mass-Bass

top water braid visibilty

Are fish line shy when fishing clear open water with braid? I use it on all my frogs when in the salad. But in open water am I spooking fish? Thanks Lee.

By the way. Using sufix 832 in moss green

I do not think you will spook fish by using straight braid on topwater even in clear, open water.  But this is just my opinion, the only way to tell for yourself is to start out fishing with a leader tied on.  Once you start catching fish cut the leader off, and what happens next will determine weather line visibility matters for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

I do not think you will spook fish by using straight braid on topwater even in clear, open water.  But this is just my opinion, the only way to tell for yourself is to start out fishing with a leader tied on.  Once you start catching fish cut the leader off, and what happens next will determine weather line visibility matters for you.

You can also start without a leader and add one, use mono or copolymer, fluorocarbon is dense and will sink

I personally don't think for topwater line color matters, the only reason I use a leader for topwater is propbaits and if toothy critters are around

I was using white 10 pound nanofil on super flukes in the lily pads one time, wasn't getting the strikes my son was, so added a FC leader.  Many more hits after that.  Just one data point.

• Like 1