joelhains

Veritas or Smoke or St. Croix Eyecon?

I'm trying to decide which baitcasting rod to pick up next.  I had a first gen Veritas a few years ago and it was ok, but I always liked the feel of the St. Croix rods better so I got rid of it. Now I'm looking at them again. Yesterday in the tackle shop I looked at the new quantum Smoke. I liked the feel and how light weight it was too. Both of these rods (7ft medium heavy) feel a little too stiff, to the point of being brittle. My Favorite spinning rod is my St. Croix Eyecon. I thought the baitcaster might be a good one too. It is a little lighter action (7ft medium). The grip is very comfortable and the spinning rod has held up very well considering what I put it through. The old Veritas I had lost a ring out of one of the guides but besides that it held up pretty well too. I've never purchased a Quantum rod and I like to broaden my horizons so I'm leaning towards that one. Do any of you have any experience you'd like to share regarding these three rods? Which would you prefer? Which can I expect to hold up to abuse the best? Which would have the most sensitivity? This rod will be used mostly for spinnerbaits and creaturebaits thru weedbeds. Targeting both bass and pike. Also open to suggestions for similar rods in the same general price range.

Be sure to look at the SC Mojo Series as well.  The Eyecon line is designed with walleye fishing in mind, though I do like my Eyecon 6-3 MLXF and 6-8  MXF spinning rods - mainly for the handle.

In that price range I'd also check out the mojo, the Fenwick aetos rods on their site if there are any left, the daiwa tatula rods on flea bay for 110, the Powell max 3d rods, and the 13 *** black and *** green. The aetos rods are probably the best deal. They are around half price and have titanium guides and lifetime warranty. The tatula and max 3d rods are very nice also, and all 3 if those retail for over 150, but can be found around 100. If you like the smoke the exo rods can be found cheaper than the smokes retail price. Both are really lightweight rods and balance well. The *** black and *** green are great buys at retail, and a lot of the new *** black rods can be found for less on ebay, around 80 shipped.

I forgot about Fenwick Aetos rods. I really like the feel of the Mojo Bass rods too but I just can't purchase a purple rod lol! I had a Tatula rod and I wasn't impressed. Broke after just two times out with it. I love my Tatula reel though.

I'd be checking out the newly redesigned Mojo Bass rods as well if you're considering St. Croix. Not trying to steer you away from other rods either, but now that they're using SCIII graphite in their blanks they've gotten lighter and more sensitive than the first gen Mojo's. My friend has a first gen Smoke and it's his favorite rod. I've got 3 Quantum rods and they're alright in my book although I did have an issue with the reel seat on one and another one the guides are straight, but don't line up in a straight line with the reel seat. That doesn't affect functionality, but it's one of those things that bugs me when I see it.