Sign in to follow this  
jb591

Rod advice?

I recently got into bass fishing two months ago and have been using 8 year old spinning rods. I want to upgrade my set up and have decided to geht the abu garcia silver max 3 caster cause it is in my price range. Are there any good casting rod recommendations for the silver max 3? Thanks so much

Some rods that will work well with that reel would be Berkley models, cherrywood, lightning, and lightning shock.   Other that may work well are some of the Fenwick rods.    If you want to increase your spending  some the most competitive market seems to be in rods around 100 dollars and most any of them will work well.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  Some reading if you haven't already.  I'm going to guess that you don't want to spend any more than necessary.  Look at some of the rods at ffo-tackle (factory fisherman's outlet).  You can get the Fenwick Eagle 6'6" M rated 1/4-3/4 oz. for $32 and if that isn't cheap enough an Amp of the same size and ratings for $18.88 or a Lightning Shock for $22.  Actually their selection is pretty limited right now.

First, if you are paying close to $60 for the Abu consider ordering this Daiwa Exceler instead. It is a $100 reel for $68.  Go here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Exceler-Baitcast-Reel-Right-Hand-EXE100HA-/181816837358?hash=item2a5520c4ee. I have made several purchases from them with no problem.  I fish with a lot of different reels, but the Daiwas are much better reels.  I own 1 Exceler and a 6 Daiwa Tatula, Tatula Type Rs and 1 Tatula CT. All of them are smooth and very durable.

As for a rod go to Fishing factory Outlet as already mentioned. My first instinct was to agree with the Berkley Lightning shock but theirs are reconditioned. If you want a new one of them go to your local Walmart. Instead I would suggest getting one of two rods from FFO. The first is a Fenwick HMX either 6'6" or 7 footer. These are $90 rods for $45.

My next suggestion would be an Abu Garcia Veracity. They have a 6'6 mh that would suite you well for $78. That might seem higher than you perhaps intended to spend but you are getting a rod that normally sells for $150.

• Like 1

the daiwa ard x series of rods is 55 bucks on tw or the berkley cherrywood hd at academy for 25 bucks, id reccomend the mh 7' of either one

if you can id recommend the daiwa but the cherrywood hd i know from personal experience will land an 8 pounder.