Sign in to follow this  
Preytorien

Water temps that kill vegetation?

A couple places I fish are obscenely overgrown with weeds, so thick it's almost impossible to fish. They extend from the shoreline out about 25 ft. Since they're shore fishing only bodies of water it makes your available presentations and techniques very limited. That said, I'm looking forward to when these grasses start to die off, the fishing really tends to heat up as I can explore different lures to use rather than just a few. When does the vegetation die-off start? 

Depends upon the type (species) of vegetation you have in the lake. Some are already starting to die off with water temps now below 70 on many local bodies of water, while other more hardy veggies like coontail, sandgrass and curly leaf cabbage will persist well into the late fall and early winter. Look for the shallowest stuff (algae mats, milfoil, water willow) to go first.

-T9

• Like 1

Yea these are mostly algae mats and milfoil type plants. Hopefully they die off soon! 

All green plants rely on sunlight /photoperiod to grow, when the days sunlight time shortens affected by less sunlight start to lose their green coloration. Cold air cools the water slowly, the combination of less sunlight and cooler water temps cause some aquatic plants to turn brown stopping thier photothynsis process of producing oxygen. It's the loss of oxygen that affects the prey bass eat that lived in the green aquatic growth to leave the cover and the bass follow.

Cold water alone doesn't cause aquatic most plants to turn brown unless they freeze.

Green aquatic plants become good areas to bass fish during the fall to winter transition.

Tom

• Like 1

Keep track of -visit- each of your waters as die-offs are not consistent or generalized. Each water body can be different. Water clarity changes can have a more abrupt effect than temperrature, esp with light-loving plants like milfoil. I have ponds sitting side by side that have diff responses: some with little vegetation left alive and another still green and flourishing. 

• Like 1