BigTerp

Whopper Plopper 90 Replacement Hooks

Picked up a 90 size last week and caught a nice 18" smallmouth on it over the weekend. A few casts later I hooked my boat seat, DOH!!! Ended up straightening the rear treble on the lure. Only got about 10 casts out of it before I fouled up the rear hook. So I'm looking for a recommended replacement hook for it. I see it's a #4, but what hook would you all recommend? 

I put Mustad KVD 2x strong 1X short on mine.  The front hook is a #4, the back is a #6.  Did this for one main reason, to help prevent the bait from rolling.  The #4 hook up front keeps the bait level and the #6 in the back lets the bait sit a little higher which also helps bring it up quickly. I tried using a #2 up front and a #4 in the back, sunk the bait.  Tried 2 #4's, bait rolled badly.  Went to the above set up and it worked better then it did before I swapped them.  Also added a small ball bering swivel to the split ring up front to keep line twist down as well.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Thanks. I'll check those hooks out. I only got a few casts in with mine before I messed up the back hook. But I did notice it took a little while to get it up on top of the water. I had to reel it to get it started with my rod tip way up in the air. I also added a ball bearing swivel to mine before I ever tied it on. Read about the line twist issues and figured I'd go ahead with the swivel.

I have some Owner Stinger 36's in #6 laying around from when I swapped out the hooks on a few poppers I had. Think they would do OK as the back hook?

I also have some Owner Tournament trailers in #6. Not sure I want feathers on the back of that bait though.

I swapped the hooks on mine because they were getting bent up from trying to horse smallies out of the grass on braid. I went to Gamakatsu 2X EWG short shanks in a #6. I'm hoping they will hold up and hold the fish better as I was losing a lot of them during the fight. The shorter hooks will hopefully not catch quite as much grass either. 

Thanks for the feedback. I think another advantage to a smaller rear hook is that it might keep the hook out of the gills. I have seen where a lot of guys say they catch them on the front hook and the rear hook ends up in the gills. Same happened with the only one I caught on mine. She was caught on the front hook. The rear hook didn't get into the gills, but only because it hooked up on the fishes side right below the gill plate. I can see how easily that rear hook gets into the gills of larger fish.

On 10/5/2016 at 0:27 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

I swapped the hooks on mine because they were getting bent up from trying to horse smallies out of the grass on braid. I went to Gamakatsu 2X EWG short shanks in a #6. I'm hoping they will hold up and hold the fish better as I was losing a lot of them during the fight. The shorter hooks will hopefully not catch quite as much grass either. 

Update, these hooks are a great option for the Whopper Plopper 90. They hooked and held a vast majority of the strikes I had. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered new hooks for my three 90s got two fish in the canoe yesterday and lost 3! Ordered the Gamakatsu 2X EWG  #6.