IndianaFinesse

BDT topwater vs. Gunfish?

Is the boyd ducket gunfish imitation as good as the lucky craft gunfish?  If not, then what's the difference?  It looks like a pretty good copy, except for much cheaper.

Academy Sports also sells a copy called the Pistol which looks identical but only costs $5.99. So far I've heard that these are great lures and the difference is in the sound so they make a slightly different sound than the original LC Gunfish and I'd hazard a guess that's the main difference with the BDT lures as well. Sound can play an important roll in a knocking lure or so I'm told.

• Like 1

llYou can buy a new Lucky Craft Gunfish 117mm which is a good size since most walking baits are 100mm as the standard.

The new 117mm is available at BPS and Dicks sporting goods for 7.99, they are offered in 4 colors instead of the normal amount, but I would buy the LC version since the price is so close.

I have done well with the academy version and other's, but I always use the Gunfish first so hard to say which are better. They all kind of fish the same, only difference is color and sound really. Then Hooks...I actually like the saltwater Pistol from Academy since it comes with much stronger hooks to use on heavy line.

The Boyd Duckett lures are probably made from the same mold, and they make quality stuff. I am not sure of the internals, I would hold each side by side to hear the sound, and look for anything different then buy the one you like best.....Every company has now made a good version of the Gunfish, just like they all made a good version of the Zara Spook.

Also check the weighting especially to see how it sits at rest. If it has weights in the tail then it will land upright and push more water but will be tougher to walk quickly unless you adjust it with adding weight to the front. 

The Gunfish is available in 3-4 sizes, tons of colors, but if the color you like is available in another brand, I would not hesitate to buy it. The Gunfish is a nice looking Pencil Popper but I don't think they are all that expensive, even online these days.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:39 PM, primetime said:

llYou can buy a new Lucky Craft Gunfish 117mm which is a good size since most walking baits are 100mm as the standard.

The new 117mm is available at BPS and Dicks sporting goods for 7.99, they are offered in 4 colors instead of the normal amount, but I would buy the LC version since the price is so close.

I have done well with the academy version and other's, but I always use the Gunfish first so hard to say which are better. They all kind of fish the same, only difference is color and sound really. Then Hooks...I actually like the saltwater Pistol from Academy since it comes with much stronger hooks to use on heavy line.

The Boyd Duckett lures are probably made from the same mold, and they make quality stuff. I am not sure of the internals, I would hold each side by side to hear the sound, and look for anything different then buy the one you like best.....Every company has now made a good version of the Gunfish, just like they all made a good version of the Zara Spook.

Also check the weighting especially to see how it sits at rest. If it has weights in the tail then it will land upright and push more water but will be tougher to walk quickly unless you adjust it with adding weight to the front. 

The Gunfish is available in 3-4 sizes, tons of colors, but if the color you like is available in another brand, I would not hesitate to buy it. The Gunfish is a nice looking Pencil Popper but I don't think they are all that expensive, even online these days.

Thanks for the heads up on the 117 size, no idea why that one size is so much cheaper than the other sizes.  Makes it a no brainer on which one to get.  The only color tw has left is chrome, is that a half-way decent color for topwater?  I haven't ever owned a chrome colored topwater before.

There is a physical difference between the 117 size and the 115 or 95 size. The 117 is a traditional pencil-style bait with a more bulbous rear and a slender front while the 115 and 95 are in my own opinion more fish shaped and the front/middle are where the bulk of the lure is (instead of the rear like the 117) so that is why the price difference...the entire lure is physically different!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 9:02 AM, Brett's_daddy said:

that is why the price difference...the entire lure is physically different!

Still doesn't really explain why it doesn't cost as much. 

It appears to have quality paint, details, and components like the original gunfish. AND it's larger, which would almost make you think it would cost even more than the original...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, j bab said:

Still doesn't really explain why it doesn't cost as much

Can't explain it either...just spit ballin' about why it's half the price as the original Gunfish.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 9:57 AM, IndianaFinesse said:

Thanks for the heads up on the 117 size, no idea why that one size is so much cheaper than the other sizes.  Makes it a no brainer on which one to get.  The only color tw has left is chrome, is that a half-way decent color for topwater?  I haven't ever owned a chrome colored topwater before.

I am not sure of why the price is different. As mentioned in the post before, the less expensive model is 17mm larger and has a slightly different profile which I actually think can be good, but I think  Lucky Craft maybe wanted to just make a less expensive model in less colors in order to get some new customer's? They offered it this year and in 4 colors, and I purchased one and it does have a different profile since it is in the middle of all sizes, but yes, Chrome is a good color.

I tend to fish Silver/Blue, Silver/Black, as my first color choice for topwater since all forage bait fish have a silver type flash when they move even a Golden Shiner/Bluegill etc...It is always good to have another bait in a darker color, I would maybe consider a darker color Chug'n Spook to go with the Gunfish, but every lure TW carries in Topwater section is a good choice.

I think 100mm is 4" and standard, I know the most popular sized Pencil Poppers in Florida are usually the 115-135. The 135 is big but you still catch numbers on it at times, I would not worry about 17mm imo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, primetime said:

I am not sure of why the price is different. As mentioned in the post before, the less expensive model is 17mm larger and has a slightly different profile which I actually think can be good, but I think  Lucky Craft maybe wanted to just make a less expensive model in less colors in order to get some new customer's? They offered it this year and in 4 colors, and I purchased one and it does have a different profile since it is in the middle of all sizes, but yes, Chrome is a good color.

I tend to fish Silver/Blue, Silver/Black, as my first color choice for topwater since all forage bait fish have a silver type flash when they move even a Golden Shiner/Bluegill etc...It is always good to have another bait in a darker color, I would maybe consider a darker color Chug'n Spook to go with the Gunfish, but every lure TW carries in Topwater section is a good choice.

I think 100mm is 4" and standard, I know the most popular sized Pencil Poppers in Florida are usually the 115-135. The 135 is big but you still catch numbers on it at times, I would not worry about 17mm imo.

Thanks for the help, once tw gets them back in stock I will definitely be getting the 117 gunfish.

• Like 1