Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DanQS13

Dobyns Champion Extreme Question

Recommended Posts

I'm looking at picking up a DX, will be a 7 footer for skipping / target fishing.  Most of my experience is in the Champion line.  I know the Champion 703 and 704 are fast action rods, and like most Dobyns rods seems softer than their actual rating.  But from what I've read the DX 703 and 704 are X-fast tapers and what I am wondering is do they fish more like a "standard" med/Hvy or Heavy rods, or do they still seem a little softer than other brands just like the Champion line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new HPs are xf actions. power ratings are more accurate than the previous DX and lower series of rods. The 4 powers in the Hp are in between a MH and H. The 3 is in between a M and MH. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iabass8 said:

The new HPs are xf actions. power ratings are more accurate than the previous DX and lower series of rods. The 4 powers in the Hp are in between a MH and H. The 3 is in between a M and MH. 

Yeah, he said it pretty well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2016 at 4:31 PM, iabass8 said:

The new HPs are xf actions. power ratings are more accurate than the previous DX and lower series of rods. The 4 powers in the Hp are in between a MH and H. The 3 is in between a M and MH. 

Ok, thx for the info.  Currently I'm using a DC735, DC734 as my main go to rods, I have others but those seem to always be in my hands.  But I'm looking to pickup a good rod for target fishing 1/4 to 1/2 finesse jigs, 1/8-1/2 TX rigs and skipping the occasional senko for the most part.  I usually lean to a softer action over anything else and now since the newer rods are more accurate maybe I will just got with a DX703.  Its a hard decision between the 703 and 704.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DanQS13 said:

Ok, thx for the info.  Currently I'm using a DC735, DC734 as my main go to rods, I have others but those seem to always be in my hands.  But I'm looking to pickup a good rod for target fishing 1/4 to 1/2 finesse jigs, 1/8-1/2 TX rigs and skipping the occasional senko for the most part.  I usually lean to a softer action over anything else and now since the newer rods are more accurate maybe I will just got with a DX703.  Its a hard decision between the 703 and 704.

You want the 704

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DanQS13 said:

Ok, thx for the info.  Currently I'm using a DC735, DC734 as my main go to rods, I have others but those seem to always be in my hands.  But I'm looking to pickup a good rod for target fishing 1/4 to 1/2 finesse jigs, 1/8-1/2 TX rigs and skipping the occasional senko for the most part.  I usually lean to a softer action over anything else and now since the newer rods are more accurate maybe I will just got with a DX703.  Its a hard decision between the 703 and 704.

it's all personal preference though.  i have a dx703 and dx704 and i'd opt for the 703 for what you've listed.  although i usually like to "fish down" a power rather than up a power.  i think it boils down to personal preference between those 2.  and i have an HP spinning rod dx703 and the build on those newer versions is awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, buzzed bait said:

it's all personal preference though.  i have a dx703 and dx704 and i'd opt for the 703 for what you've listed.  although i usually like to "fish down" a power rather than up a power.  i think it boils down to personal preference between those 2.  and i have an HP spinning rod dx703 and the build on those newer versions is awesome!

I'm the same way... and with them being x-fast now I'm thinking the 703 would be perfect.  Its rare that I would throw a 1/2 oz on it, mostly 1/4-3/8 stuff, but if I need the sensitivity I'll do it.  Otherwise Ill just throw it on the DC734.

I have a 7'3 Helios Heavy too I use for fishing heavy grass and mats, if I get a 704 I'm going to end up with a whole arsenal of Heavy rods lol.

I know the 735C is a MH/XF but it acts more like a beef stick than anything else.

8 hours ago, iabass8 said:

You want the 704

What would fix my problem is if I just had the money to buy both, lol.

If I did have the money I actually would probably get the 703 and a 744 instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DanQS13 said:

I'm the same way... and with them being x-fast now I'm thinking the 703 would be perfect.  Its rare that I would throw a 1/2 oz on it, mostly 1/4-3/8 stuff, but if I need the sensitivity I'll do it.  Otherwise Ill just throw it on the DC734.

I have a 7'3 Helios Heavy too I use for fishing heavy grass and mats, if I get a 704 I'm going to end up with a whole arsenal of Heavy rods lol.

I know the 735C is a MH/XF but it acts more like a beef stick than anything else.

What would fix my problem is if I just had the money to buy both, lol.

If I did have the money I actually would probably get the 703 and a 744 instead.

I own the 742, 743, 745 hp I had the old 744. 1/2oz jig is too much for the 3 power and if you are going 1/2oz weight for a trig thats a job for the 745. The 4 powers are dobyns most versitle rods. Also, a 3 power spinning rod isnt the same as a 3 power casting rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

I own the 742, 743, 745 hp I had the old 744. 1/2oz jig is too much for the 3 power and if you are going 1/2oz weight for a trig thats a job for the 745

It wouldn't be often I would use a 1/2 oz on it, I would just use my 734 / 735 probably, especially if I'm casting and dragging.  But if I had to use it on the 7 footer it would just be to pitch skip up under the deep end of a dock.

I have a bunch a couple rods and reels to sell, if I can get all of them sold I could probably get both rods but will have to see.

I should just say screw it and buy another 734 anyways, lol, thats been my favorite rod so far.

I could always get the 705, use it for jigs and close quarters frog rod if I had to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×