recently I obtained a St. Croix Triumph surf rod for an upcoming fishing trip to the bahamas. while testing it out with a weight in my back yard an idea came to me; why not start using surf tackle in place of our conventional bass tackle? after all it can cast farther and by extent cover more water, and the added rod length means more line control.

so what are your thoughts on this? has anyone tried this before?

I've used them for launching baits at wipers, but accuracy is not great when casting to targets where bass normally hang out. They're not the most sensitive thing out there either. 

I use my flats tackle for bass all of the time. Especially for throwing plastics and poppers. I tend to use the lightest gear I can get away with my self. But if it works for you, and you enjoy using it, than why not? 

Depending on the length of the rod, I wouldn't see any issue with using it to fish for bass. Personally, I wouldn't want to be swinging anything longer that 7', but I spend a majority of my time bank fishing. So, I need to avoid trees and brush. If I am on a boat, it's never solo. So, again, I like to keep the rods at 7' or below to avoid annoying anyone else on the boat.

The other day, I went fishing with a local guy for some perch. He was using a St. Croix Mojo Bass rod to bottom fish with a 2 ounce sinker. I cringed every time I saw him cast, but it worked.