Jump to content
MikeOGNR

Making a fish finder mount for canoe NON Permanent

Recommended Posts

Hey guys recently been wanting to add a fish finger setup to my canoe I was gonna invest a good chunk of money into one that has the countour maps and plotter as well. The canoe does not have a electric motor so paddling will be main source of movement also if possible I would like to make it moveable as I have a v hull boat aswell. Also my canoe is a 12ft aluminum canoe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were me, I'd just buy an extra ram ball with the ram mount. I'd also buy an extra power wire and transducer unless your boat is just open and you can lay the wires out. Put one ram ball on your boat and one on the canoe. You can just swap them back and forth then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes basically I wanna get a really nice unit and have a mountable bracket that I can transfer from boat to boat also guys when it comes to paddling how well do they read?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a small flat top, molded plastic cooler.  Attach the RAM balls for the FF and the TD to it.  Put the battery inside, running the cable out the cool.  You can drill a hole for that, or just gouge out a channel to the cord.  I used this kind of setup for rental boats all the time - worked great.  Last tip - heavy rubber tape on the bottom for grip helps, if you need it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MikeOGNR said:

Yes basically I wanna get a really nice unit and have a mountable bracket that I can transfer from boat to boat also guys when it comes to paddling how well do they read?

Fish finders read well while paddling for regular sonar and "down imaging". I am not that familiar with "side imaging" but I have heard you need to maintain a certain speed to get good results (and that required speed may be close to as fast as you can paddle).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turtle135 said:

Fish finders read well while paddling for regular sonar and "down imaging". I am not that familiar with "side imaging" but I have heard you need to maintain a certain speed to get good results (and that required speed may be close to as fast as you can paddle).

I'm not really interested in side imaging mostly just I want one with a gps plotter and down imaging. The cooler sounds like a good idea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Get a small flat top, molded plastic cooler.  Attach the RAM balls for the FF and the TD to it.  Put the battery inside, running the cable out the cool.  You can drill a hole for that, or just gouge out a channel to the cord.  I used this kind of setup for rental boats all the time - worked great.  Last tip - heavy rubber tape on the bottom for grip helps, if you need it.

that is a great idea as I imagine if you secured the lid (and made just a small hole for the cable) the whole thing would float in case of a mishap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Turtle135 said:

Fish finders read well while paddling for regular sonar and "down imaging". I am not that familiar with "side imaging" but I have heard you need to maintain a certain speed to get good results (and that required speed may be close to as fast as you can paddle).

I have no issues getting good SI imaging paddling at 3.5 mph.  That is cruising speed with very minimal paddling effort.  Each hull, and paddler will have different results.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J Francho said:

I have no issues getting good SI imaging paddling at 3.5 mph.  That is cruising speed with very minimal paddling effort.  Each hull, and paddler will have different results.

Any way you could post a pic of your setup with the cooler? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down Imaging and Side Imaging are the same technology, just oriented differently. With Humminbird Side Imaging/Down Imaging you adjust the unit for the speed you are going.

Between Zero to about 12 mph works great. Just some movement is required to scan.

Wasn't any wake created doing these screen shots:

S00164_zpsafae6b49.png

S00119.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know they make mounts for kayaks, but this thread shows what I use on a rental Jon boat

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MikeOGNR said:

Any way you could post a pic of your setup with the cooler? 

I sold it a few years ago, but I modeled it after pictures I found on the web.  I'll try to dig one up.  A bunch of guys on NYBASS did the same thing, since all they fish are rowboat only lakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Turtle beat to that one, lol.

I've always been interested in these DIY setups. Back in the early 90's I used to use a Humminbird portable fish finder with the transducer on a suction cup on my kayak. That *&%$ suction cup would always find a way to pop loose at the absolute worst time! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a bit, I just screwed the TD into a strip of wood that I clamped to the transom.  I just taped the wire to the board.  Ugly, but functional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also try a RAM Mounts Tuff Claw with a Dog bone. http://www.rammount.com/products/tough-claw

I used it on a Tin and attached it to the Gunnel. Worked great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×