Sign in to follow this  
OkobojiEagle

How do the Berkley Wild Thang and Digger cranks differ?

The title of the thread got you here... I'm interested mostly in the action difference between the two baits?

oe

The Wild Thang is the fatter of the two and has a very wide, hard thumping wobble. It was touted as being similar to a Wiggle Wart, but it's really not even very close IMO. It's been a good bait for me though.

The Digger is more of a shad profile and has a tighter wiggle, similar to a DT6. 

I carry several of both and actually picked up a bunch from Academy yesterday on sale for less than $4 apiece. 

10 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

The Wild Thang is the fatter of the two and has a very wide, hard thumping wobble. It was touted as being similar to a Wiggle Wart, but it's really not even very close IMO. It's been a good bait for me though.

The Digger is more of a shad profile and has a tighter wiggle, similar to a DT6. 

I carry several of both and actually picked up a bunch from Academy yesterday on sale for less than $4 apiece. 

By "not very close" are you saying the action is more aggressive than the Digger, but less than the Wiggle Wart?  I've read that the Wild Thang is supposed to have an unpredictable "hunting action".  Have you seen this in your experience?

oe

A lot of cranks lately are advertising a "hunting" action and I believe it to be mostly marketing. Balsa wood cranks are the only baits I've had hunt as they say. As for the wild thang. It is as blue basser described. A hard big wobble bait with a huge lip square in shape. The digger is designed to dive quickly. I can't describe it much better that blue already has

2 hours ago, OkobojiEagle said:

By "not very close" are you saying the action is more aggressive than the Digger, but less than the Wiggle Wart?  I've read that the Wild Thang is supposed to have an unpredictable "hunting action".  Have you seen this in your experience?

oe

The Wild Than has a harder thump than either of the other two, but it has no hunting action that I've noticed. It wanders on the deflection, but all baits do that.