MBB Nate

Smaller casting reels

This last week I was out of town and got to handle a Curado 200i.  Compared to my LFS and Tatula CT it was more comfortable.  They didnt have a 70 in stock to feel.  

What are some other smaller reels under $200.  Are there any Lews reels smaller than the LFS?

50 size Shimanos, Pixies, I'm afraid I don't pay much attention to size.  I'll have to let others add to the list.  Heck, I might even have some of those others that get mentioned.  :lol:

My Lew's Laser pro Speed Spool is a fairly small reel, but I'm not sure how it compares to the LFS.  It's a different shape than My Daiwa Sols, but weighs about the same.

Lews Team Lite.. small,  tough, comfortable, cast a mile. 

I just sold my Curado 201 and got the Curado 70 size -- best reel I've bought in a long time -- now it's my favorite

• Like 1

It's a little over $200, but the Quantum Tour MG is a nice little reel too. The Abu Revo's are decent and similar to your Lews reels. 

I love my Daiwa Pixy/Pixzilla reels they are amazing reels so fun to fish with. When I let my friends cast them they can not believe how well they work. I usually use them for throwing 1/4 dartheads with a Little Dipper from Reaction Innovations. I understand that the newer Daiwa SV105 is an amazing reel  but I do not have any history with them. If you have issues with casting runovers/back lashing I would go with something from the Daiwa SV line and I think the smallest reel would be the Daiwa SV105 which you can find on a fishing forum for around $200.00 I have seen them cheaper than that. 

3 minutes ago, MBB Nate said:

I found alphas sv's for $250.  Might be what I am looking at.  I'd love to be able to throw 1/4oz lures and finesse jigs on a baitcaster.

Contrary to popular belief you don't need a $250 reel to cast a true 1/4 oz. lure.  Pretty sure most modern reels will do 1/4 oz. and so will several oldies.  Two of my cheaper reels that will do down to a true 3/16 oz. are Black Max 1600Cs and older gold colored Carbonlites.....$33.33 and $65 respectively.  I feel quite certain they will do (and have done) even lower in the right hands.  Pixies are going for a lot less than $200 these days and will do a lot less.

The rod becomes an important part of the equation when you start casting that low.....1/4 oz. and less.

Check ebay.  You can find the Alphas SV105 for less than $215 new.  Or look at one of the other models in the Alphas line.  There are a couple used Alphas F models in the $120-$125 range.  A favorite reel of mine is the TD-Z 105H.  There is one listed on ebay for $115.99 in "excellent condition" which is an outright lie if you look at the picture.  However, if it is in excellent mechanical condition I'd consider getting it and sending it out for a new paint job at that price.  Great reels..

I have a cheap Pflueger Trion baitcaster which actually casts amazing.  It outcasts my Lews LFS.  It's on a med/mod-fast rod but it doesn't want to cast 1/4oz crankbaits.