juicebass

Bank fishing, where to find bass in fall?!

Looking for some handy tips on where to target Largies and Smallies on a large river system from the bank?

I find the largies in the spring and summer where the current is calm and the Lily's and pads/slop are.. will they still be holding there come fall? 

i usually find smallies near rock and in heavy current during fall.. and summer hard to catch as I assume they are in the deep water. 

Should I target mostly rip rap from the bank? There isn't much wood where I fish.. would large rock areas hold fish also? Pretty limited with options on finding cover from the bank...

I fish fast rocky water and it seems to produce smallies still in the fall with tubes and in the summer I actually find the shallow water is better for smallies in currents than deep water (in rivers for me  at least). Try to look for little slack water spots in the current, it seems to produce well. As for largemouth they seem non existent in this part of the river sometimes I get a rare 10" one but I haven't done much exploring for river largies. 

• Like 1

Smallies will be in the heads and tails of pools, feeding voraciously, largemouth will be in the slack water all year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Drew03cmc said:

Smallies will be in the heads and tails of pools, feeding voraciously, largemouth will be in the slack water all year. 

Makes sense I don't see the largemouth the only close large pool of slack water is right where your not allowed to fish from the bank

Here some good info from the Bass Resource Articles Section.

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/shallow-river-smallmouth.html

A-Jay

• Like 1

Largies: Chuck a lipless crank. Great for fall transition till spring. Spinnerbaits/flukes/spooks are also fish catchers right now. Once you find one, make the same cast. Good chance they will be schooled up. Once you find a school throw a swim jig or swimbait like a kietech fat to sort out bigger bass.    Small jaws: As for smallies right now with river rocks, I'd think a squarebill, jerkbait/fluke, and a hair jig. Spinnerbaits as well.

For fun, a good trusty bait to throw year round is the ned rig. 

Goodluck!

• Like 1