Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nstd

BFS Reel Seat

Recommended Posts

The reel seat has no affect on the BFS application of the Rod one way or the other. The minima seat is a love it or hate it proposition. If you've never used one i wouldn't gamble on a custom build. I'd go with an exposed blank seat with threads trimmed flush to the hood with a reel mounted.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

The reel seat has no affect on the BFS application of the Rod one way or the other. The minima seat is a love it or hate it proposition. If you've never used one i wouldn't gamble on a custom build. I'd go with an exposed blank seat with threads trimmed flush to the hood with a reel mounted.  

Thanks for the reply and the warning about the Minima seat. My concern is not BFS application but whether it will fit on the blank size. Will a size 16 Fuji fit? or is too big with arbor?

 

Do you have a link to the one you're recommending? thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exposed blank seats are pre sized to fit the blank where you want it. Otherwise use a foam arbor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nstd said:

the minima reel seat only goes down to a 9.5 mm , your blank would need a size 8 if they made it in the Minima , so you would have to use an arbor just like with any other reel seat including the ACS ( also like the Minima , smallest inside dia. is 9.5 mm ) so any seat you use you will just have to use arbors with winding checks for gap issues , your handle material with take up other gaps . that's the issue with using an ultra light blank with a casting seat ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Big Bait Fishing said:

the minima reel seat only goes down to a 9.5 mm , your blank would need a size 8 if they made it in the Minima , so you would have to use an arbor just like with any other reel seat including the ACS ( also like the Minima , smallest inside dia. is 9.5 mm ) so any seat you use you will just have to use arbors with winding checks for gap issues , your handle material with take up other gaps . that's the issue with using an ultra light blank with a casting seat ...

 

44 minutes ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

Thanks! both of your comments were very helpful.

Do you guys recommend anything for guides? sizing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guide sizing are usually the users preference , my preference would be some small micro guides in a size 3 , you most likely will be using 5-8 lb. line  and i would assume no braid , so small micro's will be optimal .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Nstd said:

5would you size up on the first two double foot guide? For example 5 - 5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5

i use a size 5 BLCAG-5j doble foot reverse surf guide as the stripper guide (first guide ) then American Tackle Artus heavy duty micro guides in size 3 out to the tip .here is a picture of these guides next to a dime for comparision , your Fuji 3.5's will work , i just prefer the ones i listed cause they elevate the guide ring a tad higher off the blank and also cause they are a lot stronger guides .

IMAG1082.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something for you to consider. The Minima seat, mounted a very small diameter blank, may well prove to be the most uncomfortable rod you will ever have in your hand. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at Alps titanium frame F series guides. They are my choice for light weight guides when Recoils are not wanted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

forgot to mention for you to skip putting two double foot guides , you only need one ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, .ghoti. said:

Take a look at Alps titanium frame F series guides. They are my choice for light weight guides when Recoils are not wanted. 

kind off topic , do people actually ask for recoils ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you only need 1 double foot guide on a bass rod imo. I like size a size 5.5 followed by 4.5 size running guides. Anything smaller is a pita on a windy day with break offs. I'll go against the grain and suggest the Fuji ACS reel seat for a light bait build. Use to hate it, but this is where it shines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Bait Fishing said:

forgot to mention for you to skip putting two double foot guides , you only need one ..

Do you even need one?? I have 4 micro guide bass rods they dont have any double footed guides. Oldest is 7 years heavy use without an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

Do you even need one?? I have 4 micro guide bass rods they dont have any double footed guides. Oldest is 7 years heavy use without an issue.

having a double foot stripper guide is not mandatory but it does take a lot of stress of a single footed guide ,especially if you are using a spiral wrap that places more lateral torque on the guide , that's why i use the smallest guide , a size 5 BLCAG  ( i know , only a hair smaller than the 5.5 BLCAG )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Big Bait Fishing said:

kind off topic , do people actually ask for recoils ???

Yes. If you want the lightest guide set possible, Recoils are it. 

And, I see no need for double foot guides on a bass rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any exposed blank type reel seat will leave un unsightly, and uncomfortable, gap between the cut out and the blank. I would use a Fuji TCSM seat, trimmed, with a full length arbor.. And a winding check in front of the seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, .ghoti. said:

Yes. If you want the lightest guide set possible, Recoils are it. 

And, I see no need for double foot guides on a bass rod.

recoils are pretty light , but CRB Nano Micro guides are the lightest guides out on the market that i've seen , not that i would use either of them ,  when you start talking weight savings in grains , you splitting baby hairs at that point !! i will always stick to a ceramic insert guide .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nstd said:

Thanks for the wealth of info.

Whats a good cork split grip to go with the fuji acs #16?

handles on rods are personal tastses / choices ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grains of weight are a small unit but can be meaningful on a percentage basis of the whole guide train. I use recoils on float rods for steelhead with no problems. I'd use a ringed tip top on a bass Rod 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×