Jump to content
chmeyers

SWIVEL SNAPS ///GEAR RATIO

Recommended Posts

Need some advice, swivel snaps, are they good for crank baits or swim baits? 

 

Also, I have an Abu Garcia  Revo Winch and Revo Rocket, which would you use each reel for ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, chmeyers said:

Need some advice, swivel snaps, are they good for crank baits or swim baits? 

 

Also, I have an Abu Garcia  Revo Winch and Revo Rocket, which would you use each reel for ?

 

Swivels with snaps have little use in bass fishing. High quality snaps that Don't affect crankbaits or swimbait action are good to use.

Don't use any Abu Garcia products since 2001, only a few reels made in Sweden today.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the owner snaps.  the middle size is best on normal size cranks and the smallest ones are great for trout fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would use the winch for crankbaits and the rocket for flipping/pitching or topwater/jerkbaits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WRB said:

Swivels with snaps have little use in bass fishing. High quality snaps that Don't affect crankbaits or swimbait action are good to use.

Don't use any Abu Garcia products since 2001, only a few reels made in Sweden today.

Tom

So if I have a new Abu Garcia rod I shouldn't use it because it's not made in Sweden ??? You said don't use ANY Abu Garcia products past 2001. That statement is madness... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yeajray231 said:

So if I have a new Abu Garcia rod I shouldn't use it because it's not made in Sweden ??? You said don't use ANY Abu Garcia products past 2001. That statement is madness... 

If it's made in China I will not use it! 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yeajray231 said:

You use things made in China everyday Tom. I understand more clearly now though. 

 

1 hour ago, Yeajray231 said:

You use things made in China everyday Tom. I understand more clearly now though. 

Actually I don't and do a lot research to avoid products made in China.

I am not a Garcia Abu product hatter and have owned Abu reels between the early 60's to mid 90's. My 1st bass rod was Connolin before Garcia purchased the company. Owned dozens of and fished with 500, 5000C, 2500C, 4500C and Cardinal 4 series Abu Ambassaduer reels. In 2001 Abu Garcia started making thier products in China. What people don't realize is China counterfeits nearly every product they make and use sub par materials, they cheat because we let them do it by buying their products!

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there are parts on your car or boat that were made in China... but I agree that nearly everything that is stamped "made in China" is cheap.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yeajray231 said:

I'm sure there are parts on your car or boat that were made in China... but I agree that nearly everything that is stamped "made in China" is cheap.. 

Way off topic; parts made in China are't necessarily cheap, the materials used aren't properly certified and often not what you pay for.

Being a retired aerospace engineer where certifications are essential metals from China are not allowed. This started with a MD/DC 10 crash in Detroit, the engine mounting high strength bolts were counterfeit from China using inferior metal. The bolts had all the correct markings without certs and the supplier (Lawrence Fasteners) lost their business. The company I worked for was a customer of Lawrence and we had to purge all our fastener stock and re certify our metals inventory. Where did all non certified stock go across the country/world...the commercial markets that don't require certs and still don't.

Products from Germany and Japan for examples have strict certification requirement, neither of those 2 counties buy direct from China to the best of my knowledge. US aerospace parts made in China have metals supplied from certified sources and tested upon receipt of parts.

Snaps and swivels, I use Spro swivels and Owner snaps, who knows where they are made, but never had a failure yet.  Use at your own risk!

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×