Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
freelancer27

Swimbait reel: Shimano Calcutta 400D vs Calcutta Conquest 400

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

I am looking for a new swimbait reel that I can use for bigger baits (2-8 oz) in Fresh and Saltwater.

My attention is right now on the Shimano Calcutta 400D and the Calcutta Conquest 400. I had a chance to test the Calcutta 400D over the weekend and really liked it overall.

Of course the fact that you can not adjust the brakes without unscrewing the side plates sucks a bit, though I am wondering how important that is for such bigger baits anyways.

What is your thought on this, is it worth to spend 200 USD more on the Conquest?

If there are other round bait casters in the 400 size that I should consider, I am totally open! ;)


Thanks for your thoughts!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if your stuck on getting a round reel , seriously consider the Daiwa Luna 300 , solid reel with plenty of line capacity .

Daiwa-Luna-Reel-2T.jpg

 

Daiwa Luna Reels

The Daiwa Luna is a baitcaster reel designed for freshwater and saltwater fishing applications. The Luna Baitcaster Reel, from Daiwa Fishing, is an excellent choice for light saltwater fishing applications including bay and inshore fishing. Additionally, the Luna is a favorite among freshwater bass and striper anglers who employ the Luna for swimbait techniques that require a high line capacity and a lot power. Feel the heft—the solid feel of precision. Make a cast—absolutely awesome! These are Daiwa’s finest traditional-shaped baitcasters, built for those heavy cover and open water top-of-the-food-chain fish that demand heavier line and heavier muscle—fresh or saltwater. We offer the Daiwa Luna Baitcaster Reel in four models, both left and right hand of sizes: 253 and 300. For more detailed information on each model please consult the technical specs tab.

  • Frame and sideplates machined from solid bar stock aluminum
  • Five CRBB Super Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearings, plus roller bearing
  • Free-Floating Spool for maximum casting performance
  • Magforce®-Z automatic magnetic anti-backlash control (Centriflex automatic centrifugal system on 300 size)
  • Ultra-smooth, multi-disc drag with Daiwa’s exclusive fiber composite and stainless washers
  • Infinite Anti-Reverse
  • Dura-Loc™ pinion for solid gear engagement
  • Rugged, six-point drive train support
  • Machined aircraft aluminum spool
  • Cut proof Titanium Nitrided stainless steel line guide
  • Spool click on 300 size
  • Hard anodized to resist corrosion
Daiwa Reels Luna
Simple Casting Adjustment

Magforce®-Z quickly adjusts to any skill level by simply pressing and turning the sideplate. This is a fantastic feature for on the water changes. When you have different sized baits, wind, rain, a need to increase casting distance. The sideplate adjustments are a must.

fishing-review-daiwa-luna-330l-0005__large-body.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tip.

Looks like a nice reel.

Why is it 130 USD cheaper than a Shimano Calcutta 400D though? It seems to be a bit heavier and a bit larger in size, any other cons?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freelancer27 said:

Thanks for the tip.

Looks like a nice reel.

Why is it 130 USD cheaper than a Shimano Calcutta 400D though? It seems to be a bit heavier and a bit larger in size, any other cons?

Thanks!

just my opinion , quite a few shimano's are over priced , then again so are daiwa's . to each their own ....

another option is low profile baitcasters , i use a Revo Toro 51 , i throw baits quite a bit heavier than 2-8 oz. , in my opinion , you only need a reel to hold around 100 yds of line , easily done with 20 - 30 lb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I will buy the different models, and see how their build quality is and how they feel when attached to the rod.

If the Luna is as good as it seems to be then it is a no-brainer for 250 USD. I fished the Calcutta 400D and really liked it and there is still some kind of 'I WANT' feeling towards the Conquest, but at a price more than double of the luna it is in question if it is 'worth'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Luna is a 300 size reel not equal to the 400 series reels in question.

If you are looking for a functional swimbait reel the Cardiff fits the need at $110.

The Calcutta reels can handle big salt water fish and so can the Luna, the Cardiff can handle big fresh water fish and some salt water fish like channel bass / redfish, just depends on what you are willing to spend. For fresh water swimbaits they all work.

I have Shinamo Calcutta 250 and Cardiff 300 reels for swimbaits. Bought the Carddiff for my son when he got started and don't see any real difference regarding how the Calcutta and Cardiff cast swimbaits for DD size bass the past 6 years or so. The Calcutta frame is more ridgid, the drive train is quite,  but the Cardiff handles swimbaits to 7 oz with ease. I use 25 lb Sunline Armillo Nylon line on all 4 of my swimbait reels.

Today I would give the Luna a serious look if a 300 size reel fits your needs and the added 1 1/2 oz weight isn't an issue.

Tom 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRB said:

The Luna is a 300 size reel not equal to the 400 series reels in question.

If you are looking for a functional swimbait reel the Cardiff fits the need at $110.

The Calcutta reels can handle big salt water fish and so can the Luna, the Cardiff can handle big fresh water fish and some salt water fish like channel bass / redfish, just depends on what you are willing to spend. For fresh water swimbaits they all work.

I have Shinamo Calcutta 250 and Cardiff 300 reels for swimbaits. Bought the Carddiff for my son when he got started and don't see any real difference regarding how the Calcutta and Cardiff cast swimbaits for DD size bass the past 6 years or so. The Calcutta frame is more ridgid, the drive train is quite,  but the Cardiff handles swimbaits to 7 oz with ease. I use 25 lb Sunline Armillo Nylon line on all 4 of my swimbait reels.

Today I would give the Luna a serious look if a 300 size reel fits your needs and the added 1 1/2 oz weight isn't an issue.

Tom 

Wow, thanks for taking the time for such a detailed answer!!!

I want to use the reel for big swimbaits in freshwater but also for saltwater fishing (inshore and eventually a bit of offshore). Therefor my thought of getting a bit more robust version. I liked the Calcutta 400D. Sturdy, size was good and weight was not an issue. The Luna seems to be a bit bigger and heavier than the 400D, which is generally fine. I am looking to invest in a reel that can hold some beating and does not require the biggest maintenance.

The Cardiff's line capacity is a bit low, which might become an issue for bigger saltwater fish..

The Conquest is also a shiny contender, but 580 USD is a word!


Thanks guys for the thoughts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, freelancer27 said:

I think I will buy the different models, and see how their build quality is and how they feel when attached to the rod.

If the Luna is as good as it seems to be then it is a no-brainer for 250 USD. I fished the Calcutta 400D and really liked it and there is still some kind of 'I WANT' feeling towards the Conquest, but at a price more than double of the luna it is in question if it is 'worth'.

 

I don't have a Calcutta or a Luna, (although I have fished them both,) but I do have a Conquest 200.  The Conquest is an amazing reel, a step above the other 2.  The other 2 are great reels that will last forever but the Conquest ups the ante on finish and smoothness.  If you "just have to have one," I don't think you will be disappointed in the CQ.  If you just need a rock solid fishing reel,  either of the other 2 will be perfect for you.

Check the JDM sites for deals on the Shimanos.  I think the JDM CU has a removable side plate also.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your right on in your observation. The CT400D will do everything you need it to do and NO in my opinion the Conquests cost does not translate to better performance IMHO, and I fish both.....

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ Dan (ReelX)  is one of, if not the best Shimano reel technicians is the country and knows first hand about swimbait reels.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dan Isaac said:

Your right on in your observation. The CT400D will do everything you need it to do and NO in my opinion the Conquests cost does not translate to better performance IMHO, and I fish both.....

Dan

May I ask why you bought/ keep keep the Conquest then if they perform similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, I use the 400C for glidebaits, and swimbait apps where quicker line pickup is a plus. I prefer the 400Ds slower 5.1 gear ratio and 27 inch per crank intake vs the 400Cs 5.7 - 30 inch per crank though for most of my big swimbait fishing. Either is a great platform and it really comes down to personal preference and cost. Dan

 

9 hours ago, WRB said:

^^^ Dan (ReelX)  is one of, if not the best Shimano reel technicians is the country and knows first hand about swimbait reels.

Tom

Thank you for the kind words and vote of confidence Tom. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×