Jsinkic

115 optimax winterization

Hey Everyone,

I did a quick search for this but haven't really found an answer. I'm putting away my boat for the season and have done everything but one last step and that is to treat the motor (Optimax 115). I have changed the lower unit so my questions is strictly for what to do with fogging/oiling. I read that fogging the engine with a fogging spray can gum up things and make for issues for next years start up, I also read that putting some mercury oil in each cylinder (I read an ounce in each one) and then turning the key, with the kill switch off to coat the inside of each cylinder with oil is the best way to do things. I'm leaning more to the oil in each cylinder as the oil is designed for the motor.

Thoughts or which product to use if not this method would be a great help.

Jeff

I always just fogged my Mercs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J Francho said:

agreed. This is what I do. Fogging oil is made to coat the cylinder walls and hold there. It also has better anti corrosion properties than regular oil.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, riverbasser said:

agreed. This is what I do. Fogging oil is made to coat the cylinder walls and hold there. It also has better anti corrosion properties than regular oil.

39 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Thanks! What brands do you use? Quicksilver?

I think it was Mercury brand.  Honestly, I just get whatever fogging oil they hand me at the marine store.

Optimax/DFI engines are different. Suggest you consult your manual or a good Optimax tech. I believe the correct procedure is to remove the plugs and inject a few ounces of Merc Premium Plus in each cylinder. Good luck.

On 11/18/2016 at 11:06 AM, Jsinkic said:

Thanks! What brands do you use? Quicksilver?

normally sta-bil brand.

On 11/18/2016 at 2:45 PM, jbh3 said:

Optimax/DFI engines are different. Suggest you consult your manual or a good Optimax tech. I believe the correct procedure is to remove the plugs and inject a few ounces of Merc Premium Plus in each cylinder. Good luck.

I will never pretend I know everything but if this is true I would like to know the why's. I will say that I am a diesel mechanic and cant see how fogging would do any harm to any engine that is going to be stored. I know people who use it for many applications. I have only had the need for it for my boats and lawn mowers.

If you do find any info that it should not be used please share

Also wanted to add that if you did decide not to use fogging oil and just use regular, I would do it more than once depending on how long it sets up.

22 hours ago, riverbasser said:

normally sta-bil brand.

I will never pretend I know everything but if this is true I would like to know the why's. I will say that I am a diesel mechanic and cant see how fogging would do any harm to any engine that is going to be stored. I know people who use it for many applications. I have only had the need for it for my boats and lawn mowers.

If you do find any info that it should not be used please share

It's my understanding that it has to do with the way fuel and oil are injected into the engine. The two never mix. The use of fogging oil can clog the injectors. Again, IMO, it would be best for the OP to get advise and instruction relating to his engine from Mercury or a Mercury certified tech. 

• Like 2