It's a toad

What is considered a heavy weight (oz's) for a bass rod?

I was considering buying one of dobyns fury casting rods, but I have heard they are 5.7 oz's in a YouTube video. I don't know if that is true, but if it is would that be a heavy weight for a rod that cost 109$?

dobyns rods are heavier than most other rods cause they put metal inserts in the butt end of the rod to balance them .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Bait Fishing said:

dobyns rods are heavier than most other rods cause they put metal inserts in the butt end of the rod to balance them .

If that's accurate I believe all rod companies need to start doing this.  Balance is more important than weight imo.

• Like 1

The rod should weigh about 1/2 the reel weight for balance point near the front reel seat. When you add whatever lure the tip becomes heavier, some anglers like the rod/reel balanced with the lure and add butt weight to compensate the lure weight.

Dobyns rods are light weight blanks and adds the butt weight.

Tom

Did Carrot Sticks have the inserts in the butts where you could add weight?  I thought the original ones did.

5.7oz can "feel" light if the weight is distributed evenly near the reel seat.  I have plenty of sub 4oz rods with an extra ounce of weight in the butt.  I pick to fish with those over the factory rods I own simply because of the feel. 

24 minutes ago, cottny27 said:

Did Carrot Sticks have the inserts in the butts where you could add weight?  I thought the original ones did.

5.7oz can "feel" light if the weight is distributed evenly near the reel seat.  I have plenty of sub 4oz rods with an extra ounce of weight in the butt.  I pick to fish with those over the factory rods I own simply because of the feel. 

carrot sticks have a removable cap in the butt that you could add weight to , they didn't supply the weight.

8 hours ago, cottny27 said:

If that's accurate I believe all rod companies need to start doing this.  Balance is more important than weight imo.

Not to me.  I've had a lot of different brands/models rods in my hands over the years and very very few of them have been so off on balance that it's a problem.  I don't care for the feel of ballast weight added to the butt of a rod.  I'd much rather have a light rod that's a little tip heavy.

9 minutes ago, Jeff H said:

Not to me.  I've had a lot of different brands/models rods in my hands over the years and very very few of them have been so off on balance that it's a problem.  I don't care for the feel of ballast weight added to the butt of a rod.  I'd much rather have a light rod that's a little tip heavy.

Its not a problem I agree..just a personal preference.  The original Mojo Bass rods had a balance point way up the rod above the badge.  Sure, I could fish with it, but it wasn't pleasant.  

• Like 1