Jump to content
It's a toad

Abu Garcia "Ike" Finesse Series Spinning Rods

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any information on this rod like is it light weight, sensitive, etc. I particularly interested in the 6'10" ML or 7" medium for drop shot and wacky rig. Any info will help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't fished one, but I've heard positive things.  I have handled a few, though, and they feel like a quality rod for the price.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I can not help personally with their spinning rods,  but I will give you a quick opinion of my baitcaster

 I purchased the Ike 6'4" delay series jerkbait rod. It is exactly what Ike says it, it has just the right rod action for working jerkbaits but with the shorter butt you do not hit your arm on each jerk. The tip is perfect and it has tons of backbone.  I have never had a fish pull the trebles either using it.

If I was looking to get a rod for drop shotting and wacky rigging, then the 6'10" ML is the rod Ike says is designed for it. It has a 60/40 ratio of backbone to tip. Going on my experience, the rod I thought I was buying turned out to be exactly what I got., I would believe the 6'10" ML should be perfect for you. Lastly, not that it matters, but it sorta does, the looks are really cool!

Check his series of youtube videos. Type in "Ike series " in the youtube search box. Choose the "IKES610-4Rod" video and the " IKES70-5" video.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fishnkamp said:

Sorry I can not help personally with their spinning rods,  but I will give you a quick opinion of my baitcaster

 I purchased the Ike 6'4" delay series jerkbait rod. It is exactly what Ike says it, it has just the right rod action for working jerkbaits but with the shorter butt you do not hit your arm on each jerk. The tip is perfect and it has tons of backbone.  I have never had a fish pull the trebles either using it.

If I was looking to get a rod for drop shotting and wacky rigging, then the 6'10" ML is the rod Ike says is designed for it. It has a 60/40 ratio of backbone to tip. Going on my experience, the rod I thought I was buying turned out to be exactly what I got., I would believe the 6'10" ML should be perfect for you. Lastly, not that it matters, but it sorta does, the looks are really cool!

Check his series of youtube videos. Type in "Ike series " in the youtube search box. Choose the "IKES610-4Rod" video and the " IKES70-5" video.

 

Thanks man good info... I have watched those videos when he talks about the 60/40 backbone/ tip there're very helpful. And yeah the design looks amazing definitely a +.

11 hours ago, Turkey sandwich said:

I haven't fished one, but I've heard positive things.  I have handled a few, though, and they feel like a quality rod for the price.  

Yup me to, I have heard nothing but good about these rods. I haven't handled one though would you say they are a light rod weight wise?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of weight, they felt in line with what I would expect from a quality $130-160 rod.  You're likely best served with the ML Fast or extra fast for drop shotting, finesse plastics, etc and most ML rods aren't going to tire you out casting.  More important, I think, is just balancing it with the right sized reel.  I see no reason why you wouldn't be happy with it.  Most rods at that price point from quality manufacturers are going to be good rods.  I don't care for foam grips as much as some, but that's the only reason I don't own many Abu rods.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to bookmark the detailed rod and reel reviews I see around here for future reference. Here is a good one for an Ike spinning rod by fishballer06:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MIbassyaker said:

I like to bookmark the detailed rod and reel reviews I see around here for future reference. Here is a good one for an Ike spinning rod by fishballer06:

 

Thanks I don't see much talk about these rods but when I do they are always good reviews 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×