jtipton91

S.E. Kansas mined land strip pits

Hey all, I have a trip planned for next march, to go down to the strip pits with the wife for a few days. Anyone got any recommendations as to which pits to fish? We'll be staying in a cabin on the trout lake, so of course we will fish it, but id also like a try a couple more. Thanks in advance to any help. James

Trout lake can be good.  The one across the road to the north is pretty good, and the one across the road to the west of that one can be as well.  Be sure to get a trout stamp if fishing the trout pit.  You might think about going over  to Big Hill for a day as well.  Good Largemouth and smallies as well.  Good luck!

SE Kansas grass grower

I petonally have never had any luck in the trout pit. Now the other 2 that Sprocket mentioned have been really good to me. I'll try and remember to get a couple pit #'s and what roads they are on that I fish regularly. And I have the best luck using a 7" Tequila Sunrise powerbait worm rigged weightless. Just let it sink slowly and work it along the banks for best results. Good luck

Thanks! Another guy had mentioned the two to the north and to the northwest. 

• Like 1

Several of my HS friends rent this place out each summer.  Nice accommodations, reasonable prices, and good fishing.  Bring your own boat or you can rent.  In 2015 my buddy caught an 8lb bass.(pictured on the Facebook page from August 2, 2015).

https://www.facebook.com/Anglers-Paradise-240504909309879/

2 hours ago, Jared McMillian said:

Anyone game for a little fishing tournament in March down there? I want to meet with some locals and learn where the real big fish are down there.

We've tried to put something together several times on the pits and nobody ever wants to make it happen. A good portion of the KC area members are fishing a tournament on Table Rock in March already. 

I really enjoy fishing the pits, wouldn't stand a chance against local guys that fish them often, but the added challenge of picking the right pit at the right time makes the idea of a tournament on them really sound good to me. 

I'd be down for getting a tournament going! I'm new to this page but post about the strip pits on "Ozark Anglers" SE KS Strip Pit section. I have access to about 50 private pits that I fish most of the time but I also make my way out to the public pits. I now live in SWMO so sometimes it's easier to get out to the public pits than to where I normally fish northeast of Pittsburg. I will say, it's hard to catch big bass in the trout pit but there's two places that some friends of mine have always had success and caught multiple 8-10 lb bass. However, my buddies and I have caught some BIG rainbow trout out of the trout pit. One just last Friday. On Saturday we went to some private pits and ended up cleaning 60 crappie. 15 of them were between 1 lb 5 oz and 1 lb 10 oz. I am a local but not too experienced in fishing for bass in the public pits. I think it would be fun!