TheRodFather

Maintaining entry level Reels

Hello all, I searched but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

I have several entry level reels that I bought in combos when I first started out this season, I have since replaced a few of the combo rods throughout the season, but want to stick with the reels for now.  Eventually the reels will be replaced for better quality gear and the entry level reels will go to the kids, or as secondary rods.I am in the process of disassembling them and cleaning/greasing during the cold months.  I am working on 3 Abu Garcias, a Black Max, Silver Max and an Orra Winch, and 2 Lews baitcasters, a Carbon Blue and a Laser MG.  I tore each one down and greased the gears and oiled the bearings and everything went well and the reels are nice and smooth and quiet.  

All of the reels are very similar as far as the internal parts are concerned, after the gear side cover is pulled and the spacers and one way bearing inner race is off, there is a large diameter steel washer, then a paper (?) washer, then the main gear, then a fiber reinforced washer, then the steel washer with the pawls on it to engage the spool after casting.

I have some Shimano drag grease on the way, and I am pretty sure the fiber reinforced washer gets the grease, but what about the paper washer?  Are they both considered the "drag washers", and therefore both get the drag grease?

Thanks for any help!

Ok, thank you for the reply, the washers that seem to be made of paper (it's seems like a gasket type of material) were dry on all the reels, the fiber reinforced washer under the main gear was greased.  I wasn't sure if greasing both would smooth out the drag any.

Thanks again for the reply!

Do not grease or oil ABU drag stacks.

Is the one under the main gear and above the steel washer with the pawls considered part of the drag stack?  Because they were all greased from the factory.......

The ratchet is a gear and needs to be greased. The grease on the small drag washer is probably from that but it is actually a dry system.