Looking into getting a rod for heavy cover applications like punching, flipping, frogging and others. I would wait until late next spring to get this rod, because I don't have he money right now, and wouldn't be using it until then anyhow. I would spool the reel with 50 pound braid.

Rod: Cabala's Tournament ZX 7'3" Heavy Fast

Reel: Lew's Laser MG Speed Spool 6.4:1

Line: Suffix 832 50 pound test braid camo or green

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/rod-reel-combos/casting-combos|/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/104822280/lew-s-reg-laser-reg-mg-speed-spool-cabela-s-tournament-zx-casting-combos/2218040.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcasting-combos%2F_%2FN-1102354%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104822280

I would put the reel on another rod. My Quantum Smoke PT 7.3:1 would replace it.

I am interested in the combo, because I can save lots of money.

What do you think?

It depends on where you feel you can compromise. You want a frog rod to have some tip to load and cast.  A punching rod would ideally be more powerful than either of the other two. 

• Like 1

It also depends on how heavy a punch rig you are using, if under 1 1/2 ounces then one rod may do fine, If you wish to throw the  big 2 ounce rigs then it takes two rods.  I just started throwing the 1 to 1 1/2 ounce punch rigs down here on the Susquehanna Flats and I am using a 7 ft heavy Veritas rod. They work fine on that rod but I use a 7 ft MH Veritas for my frog rod. The heavy rod was too stiff to frog with.  Since all Veritas run a half tick heavy in action the mh is perfect, a least to me it is. I could easily pitch or flip with either one depending on how heavy a bait I needed to throw/

• Like 1