Jonister

fly rod setup in 250$ range

I have just gotten into fly fishing this past summer with a very cheap 5 wt combo. It is amazing fun, and i would like to add a decent 8 wt to my setup when bass fishing. i currently know very little about brands, reels, fly lines, etc. My plans are to use this rod/reel for lighter saltwater use, bass, carp, shad, I also have some great steelhead water around me and would like to maybe mess around with that one day. I was hoping someone who knows their stuff (or more than me, ;) ) might be able to point me in the right direction towards a good rod and reel or a combo that is in the 250$ range. I don't want to drop to much but would like something with enough quality to last me a while and provide quality enjoyment. I also know absolutely nothing about fly line besides the fact that some float and some sink. What kind do i want? size? etc. I am kind of hoping to end up with the "power Pro" of fly lines. something that can touch on everything. Im basically looking for the all around do most 8 wt. Any suggestions are great! Thanks guys!

PM sent!

My friend from grammar school days has a starter packages for $200.  Check out Wild Water Fly Fishing.  Call, and you'll probably get his wife Heidi.  They'll set you up.

I know a descent bit about fly fishing. I have lost interest over the last few years as I've switched over to bass. I have a 5 wt, and two 7 weights, one still needs to be built. A 7 or 8 wt would be good for bass and would be a good steelhead/ salmon rod. A 5 wt is better for trout and panfish. 

Okuma makes some good, affordable fly rods and reels.The SLV rod is pretty good to get you started. The SLV reel is good too for the price, but it is made of cheap metal and it will bend if dropped. The drag is OK on it as well. That would be my recommendation and would be well under 250 dollars. 

I would stick with a floating fly line. They are probably the most versatile, you can use them for nymphs, streamers, etc and obviously you could use them with dry flies too. Also, the floating lines usually have an indicator that will let you know if you've been bit especially in streams when you typically don't feel the bite, you just see your line stop and you set the hook. Check out this link for more on line info: http://www.troutlet.com/Choosing-Fly-Line-W19.aspx

I would also recommend getting fly tippet gauge that measures the diameter of your leader/tippet material. That way you always tie on a tippet that's the same or lesser diameter than your leader. 

If you are going to get serious about it, I would recommend getting a vice and some fly tying material. Especially for bass. You can make them for fractions of what you will pay @ retail price.

@stk44 I do quite a bit of tying already! I have gotten into tying bugs and such, along with some bass jigs. 

Thanks guys for the help! I have a ways to think on this as I'm waiting till the holidays are over. I think I'll try to get an aluminum reel. I do like the okumas now that I look at them. 

• Like 1