Sign in to follow this  
katmandew

G Loomis GLX 894c JWR

I'm looking to get one high end Loomis rod.  I'd like to use this mostly for Jigs, Texas Rigs, and Carolina Rigs. Curious if this is the best choice to cover that range. Would love to hear from some of you who own GLX rods who can weigh on on this subject.  Thanks!

I am picking mine up today.

My buddy let me use his last year and I find it to be very versatile.

Not a mistake by any means..

I would say you would absolutely love that rod for what you are describing. Generally for the NRX rods the 893 is for 1/4 to just under a 1/2 oz. The 873 is for 3/8 to 5/8 and the 894 is for 3/8 to just under an oz. As long as most of the stuff you will be tossing clears 3/8 oz you will find the 894 rod to be great.

I have a MBR 844 on the way that I am excited to get. Will be my first 2016 GLX!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2017 at 10:33 AM, kickerfish1 said:

I would say you would absolutely love that rod for what you are describing. Generally for the NRX rods the 893 is for 1/4 to just under a 1/2 oz. The 873 is for 3/8 to 5/8 and the 894 is for 3/8 to just under an oz. As long as most of the stuff you will be tossing clears 3/8 oz you will find the 894 rod to be great.

I have a MBR 844 on the way that I am excited to get. Will be my first 2016 GLX!

Is the NRX worth the extra $125 over the new GLX series?  I've heard they are very close. 

I am sure they are close. I have not received my 2016 GLX yet so I can't comment on they compare. A friend that has some of the new GLX models and says they fish faster and for some rods more crisp, with not much of a gap in feel.

As I am reading your post I have TacticalBassin' videos on and the host Matt Allen says if you were to get one high end rod that the 894 would be the rod. 

For exactly the uses you described.

My highest level rod is a GLX and I love them for bottom contact.  kickerfish1 is spot on for the 894. 

4 hours ago, katmandew said:

Is the NRX worth the extra $125 over the new GLX series?  I've heard they are very close. 

I have both NRX and GLX (3 power NRX, 4 power GLX) same rod and length however.  NRX is noticeably lighter and more sensitive.  Is it worth it, depends really.  They both are very sensitive, and the GLX will produce just as well as the NRX and you aren't missing much.  Do I like the NRX better, of course, but the GLX isnt slacking by any means.  Is it worth it is solely up to your budget. 

I will I'll add this though, the reason I bought the NRX is because it was 25% off and cheaper than the GLX at that time.  Otherwise I would have gotten a GLX and never thought twice about the NRX. 

5 hours ago, h20-50 said:

I have both NRX and GLX (3 power NRX, 4 power GLX) same rod and length however.  NRX is noticeably lighter and more sensitive.  Is it worth it, depends really.  They both are very sensitive, and the GLX will produce just as well as the NRX and you aren't missing much.  Do I like the NRX better, of course, but the GLX isnt slacking by any means.  Is it worth it is solely up to your budget. 

I will I'll add this though, the reason I bought the NRX is because it was 25% off and cheaper than the GLX at that time.  Otherwise I would have gotten a GLX and never thought twice about the NRX. 

I don't think I've ever seen Shimano go on sale before they close their stuff out to make new stuff.  Wish I could find one 25% off!!! :)

Thanks to all for the input.  GLX it is.  Wouldn't you know it, now that I made my mind up, Tackle Warehouse is out of stock on the 894. :(

1 hour ago, katmandew said:

I don't think I've ever seen Shimano go on sale before they close their stuff out to make new stuff.  Wish I could find one 25% off!!! :)

Thanks to all for the input.  GLX it is.  Wouldn't you know it, now that I made my mind up, Tackle Warehouse is out of stock on the 894. :(

check out the Tackle Trap

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Big Bait Fishing said:

check out the Tackle Trap

Sale ends Friday.

20 minutes ago, lmbfisherman said:

Sale ends Friday.

Yep, just call the shop to take advantage of the special and ask for Bryan. I dont believe the website shows a sale price so just place your order over the phone with him.

8 hours ago, katmandew said:

8 hours ago, katmandew said:

American Legacy had 25% of a week or two ago.  You can always email them and see if they might extend the offer to you.  Never hurts to ask.\

EDIT:  NRX 894C (demo model) 25% off at Tackle Trap, jump on it!