Sign in to follow this  
Burke

Reels: Fixing the Grinding Gear Feeling? ABU Garcia 6600 C4

Was looking at several YouTube videos on swimbaits. I have this  Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6600 C4 (Made in Sweden) that been sitting on the desk of mine for a while. Originally, got this for catfishing which I have caught some big ones (45+ lbs.)

Every time I turn or crank it. It would give this grinding feeling. I do not have this problem with others reels that I have maintenance for the last few years.

I have taken this apart, put it back together and grease the crap out of it and put bearing oil, Reel Oil and grease. It still comes out same way. I have looked at the gears which showing no marks or stretch. I am just stumped at this moment.  I don’t think it’s the bearings which has nothing to do with the grinding feeling. I have follow the schematic to perfection. It doesnt do for it at all. I must have taken it apart like over 30 times and no luck. 

However, there is a problem that I can’t detect easily since I am not able to hear (Profoundly Deaf) to find the culprit of the issue. But I can feel it. I’m not sure if it’s the gear or I’m just plain “stupid”.

Should I just pony up the dough and have someone can detect it and fix the problem at the spot or spend the dough on the new main/pivot gear (ereplacementpart) for 35 bucks. I don’t want to ship to someone then it comes back the same.

Your advice ? 

Sometimes replacing gears helps even though there are no visible signs. Check everything that turns: level wind, AR, crank shaft, idler gears. 

Thanks for the tip - Im gotta try it out again for the last time ..

If no success, think I can send it out to you ? if you have the parts available in your shop ? 

More times than not, it's the pawl and/or worm gear. Pull the pawl and try it that way. If its smooth you'll know, if not, keep looking, and the next culprit are the gears. Could also be a bad bearing, or gremlins...