Jump to content
Slipknot_Fan666

Looking At Getting My First Megabass Setup

Recommended Posts

As the title says, I'm finally looking at getting a Megabass rig. Been wanting one since I joined this site and may be able to afford it now. I want a Zonda 68L, but can't find one new (has to be new if I'm spending what I'm spending on a setup). So instead, I'm looking at either a Lauda 72L or FX68L. I want the translucent sideplate and I can't find an FX68L with one (can only find the Viola and Rossi). Which of the two is the better reel? If the FX68L outperforms the Lauda by a landslide, I believe I can get over not having a translucent sideplate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i hope you know what you're getting yourself into! plunging into the "dark side" is very addictive and a potentially slippery slope! it's hard to say which of the two reels is "better". i think it'll come down to which one "feels" better to you depending on how you palm your reels and also what rod/applications you intend to use it for. you prob already know but the lauda is based off of the alphas platform and is basically the megabass version of the sv105 or a zonda sv. the fx is their version of the daiwa t3. i'm not a fan of the hood on this reel so i would personally opt for the lauda but both platforms have their respective fans. both can be used with lures down to 1/8 depending on the rod up to 1oz + but i wouldn't consider them the best tools for heavy applications. i personally would try to find a lightly used zonda 68l or an is71hl actually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, byram bassturd said:

i hope you know what you're getting yourself into! plunging into the "dark side" is very addictive and a potentially slippery slope! it's hard to say which of the two reels is "better". i think it'll come down to which one "feels" better to you depending on how you palm your reels and also what rod/applications you intend to use it for. you prob already know but the lauda is based off of the alphas platform and is basically the megabass version of the sv105 or a zonda sv. the fx is their version of the daiwa t3. i'm not a fan of the hood on this reel so i would personally opt for the lauda but both platforms have their respective fans. both can be used with lures down to 1/8 depending on the rod up to 1oz + but i wouldn't consider them the best tools for heavy applications. i personally would try to find a lightly used zonda 68l or an is71hl actually.

 

I've been on the dark side ever since I started looking in the, "show off your stuff," thread. Lol I can't justify buying a used Megabass. It has to be new. I'm not looking to spend over $600 for the reel, so the IS series isn't really an option. The only new ones I've found are $640 or so. Think I'll probably go with the Lauda as I like the look more and I'm also not a fan of the flip up hood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sold. Just gotta wait until this guy brings me his bike so I can sell it. Already told him I'd take the bike, so can't back out on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's nothing wrong with buying used. Some people take really good care of their gear and you'd never know it wasn't new. I have a Zonda 68l and I can tell you that the factory paint is crap. It's the same for the IS paint too. It's not cleared and will wear rather easily. I take very good care of my reels and my Zonda started to wear down on the top of the frame where I rest my thumb. It's getting sent out to be custom painted here in a couple weeks. Once I finally decide on a color scheme. Megabass is to Daiwa as Shelby is to Mustangs. It's just a tuned up Daiwa reel with different paint. Other than the monoblock family there's not any regular MB reel that wows me. Some of the rare ones do but they'll cost you and it's more from a collectors standpoint. Owning a reel that's only released in limited numbers. The Lauda would be a good start to dipping your toes in the water. My favorite still has to be the J dream 7.9. It's just nice on the eyes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rippin-lips said:

There's nothing wrong with buying used. Some people take really good care of their gear and you'd never know it wasn't new. I have a Zonda 68l and I can tell you that the factory paint is crap. It's the same for the IS paint too. It's not cleared and will wear rather easily. I take very good care of my reels and my Zonda started to wear down on the top of the frame where I rest my thumb. It's getting sent out to be custom painted here in a couple weeks. Once I finally decide on a color scheme. Megabass is to Daiwa as Shelby is to Mustangs. It's just a tuned up Daiwa reel with different paint. Other than the monoblock family there's not any regular MB reel that wows me. Some of the rare ones do but they'll cost you and it's more from a collectors standpoint. Owning a reel that's only released in limited numbers. The Lauda would be a good start to dipping your toes in the water. My favorite still has to be the J dream 7.9. It's just nice on the eyes. 

 

I just don't like buying used. I don't buy anything used if I can avoid it. Just a mental thing. I know they're just a tuning house for Daiwa, but it's still my dream reel. Just hoping to finally be able to get one is all. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, rippin-lips said:

There's nothing wrong with buying used. Some people take really good care of their gear and you'd never know it wasn't new. I have a Zonda 68l and I can tell you that the factory paint is crap. It's the same for the IS paint too. It's not cleared and will wear rather easily. I take very good care of my reels and my Zonda started to wear down on the top of the frame where I rest my thumb. It's getting sent out to be custom painted here in a couple weeks. Once I finally decide on a color scheme. Megabass is to Daiwa as Shelby is to Mustangs. It's just a tuned up Daiwa reel with different paint. Other than the monoblock family there's not any regular MB reel that wows me. Some of the rare ones do but they'll cost you and it's more from a collectors standpoint. Owning a reel that's only released in limited numbers. The Lauda would be a good start to dipping your toes in the water. My favorite still has to be the J dream 7.9. It's just nice on the eyes. 

I love the jdream and the zillion pe special.  The red and blue one only the gold and blue does nothing for me...  You can get this zillion new on the bay...  IZE makes some great stuff also like the red and gold ize millionaire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slipknot_Fan666 said:

 

I just don't like buying used. I don't buy anything used if I can avoid it. Just a mental thing. I know they're just a tuning house for Daiwa, but it's still my dream reel. Just hoping to finally be able to get one is all. Lol

Nothing wrong with that at all. It will just cost you more to buy new, unless you get a Lauda or FX. The rest will be $500+ and for me that's a hard pill to swallow. MB reels are very nice and you will enjoy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rippin-lips said:

Nothing wrong with that at all. It will just cost you more to buy new, unless you get a Lauda or FX. The rest will be $500+ and for me that's a hard pill to swallow. MB reels are very nice and you will enjoy it. 

 

I actually finally ended up finding a Zonda 68L after days of searching. $610 new. I'll definitely be coughing up the money for it as soon as I get it. My friend told me he was going to make a cast with it when I get it. I told him not for at least six months or until I get over being overprotective of it. Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even let my brother cast my Megabass reels.  He can use my OG Zillion. 

 

He he was eyeing my new (used in perfect condition ) J-Dream recently. 

 

Dream on! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Zonda that I got for $350. Got a pretty good deal on it. I also have a IP79. Both are great reels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My plans kinda got booted, but in a good way. My buddy gave me his 10 year old Abu Ambassador 5000, so I'm gonna try to trick it out, get it on a swimbait rod, and use it for swimbaits and catfish. Decided I'll just buy an SV105 and a rod for it. Also gonna sell my buddy my *** and buy myself a ***.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TX-Deluxe said:

Who is making their reels?

Daiwa is the reel maker. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×