Sign in to follow this  
Cr5

St Croix Avid X MF Rod for grass?

I purchased a MHF Mojo rod recently. I wanted a versatile rod to do things anywhere from finesse to spinners and jigs. After fishing one day with it I realized how uncomfortable it was in my hand. It also felt incredibly stiff, stiffer than other MH rods I had used. I had heard people say that St Croix rods are generally a bit on the heavier side compared to their ratings, is this true?

I wound up going back to Bass Pro and traded it in to the Avid X MF casting rod because of how great it felt in my hand. With the Mojo, however, I was able to fish grassy spots in lakes pretty well. With this Avid X M, I know I will be able to finesse a bit better, but I'm also wondering (if St Croix are, in fact, on the heavier side) if I will be able to work in grass as well as the MH Mojo?

Last question: the rod is rated up to 5/8 lures. How will it handle 3/4? I'm sure it being a casting rod will help it handle a bit better, yeah?

First off Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

As for the rods - regardless of the manufacturer, a Medium action rod rarely fishes the same as a Medium Heavy rod; and vice versa.

Either one will do what it's designed for well and May be OK for presentations & techniques that are above or below it's designed intensions.

Though I have experience with St Croix sticks, how they "feel" or if they are "on the heavy side" is purely subjective.  So my ideas on the subject may differ from yours.  I happen to like them, but I'm always using them in a manner that allows these rods to perform correctly.

I'd say that having reasonable expectations when picking a rod can make the process a bit smoother and allow one to be successful.

A-Jay

Fished the Avid X 70MF casting the last two seasons.  I occasionally fished around light grass and sparse lilly pads up north with no issues.  Its meatier than the Legend Elite 70MF that I use.

Even tho its rated to 5/8, it felt its best at 1/4 to 1/2 oz.

IMO you're asking too much from one rod. You'll need to decide where you want to compromise. Not to be self serving but I have built on a blank that I think may be the best/least compromise. Contact me if you'd like more info. 

• Like 1