Sign in to follow this  
QJ23

Rod and Reel Guidance

Hey all, this is my first post here. I've always lurked around but never signed up. Anyway, I've been searching and searching for a new rod and reel for this year. I'm looking for a heavy rod for pitching larger jigs and heavier Texas rigs as well as throwing a Carolina rig. Sensitivity and it being fairly light are a must. Total budget is around $450. That is for a rod and reel. I'm also very open to the JDM market as far as reels go. 
Thanks in advance.

I would say a Daiwa SV103 ($200 at tackle warehouse right now) or JDM Daiwa Zillion SV TWS (around $250 at Japanese websites) paired with a dobyns champion 765 flip ($265).

I actually saw the deal they had on the sv103 and bought one last night. I was looking at the champion but, I wanted to see what others thought. More input on rods would be appreciated. The budget is now $250. 

For my top water and frog rods, I really don't pay top dollar because sensitivity isn't really needed.  (use a Veritas 7'3" MH/F for frogs, Veritas MH is more like a H or a Crucial MH/XF 7'2") However, since you are using it for a Carolina rig, I would suggest getting a Heavy Fast Shimano Zodias.  They are great rods, the best thing about the Zodias rods is that they all have an all around taper.  Of course if warranty is an issue for you (1 yr for Shimano) then I'd pick a St. Croix Avid H/F.  7' would be the minimum length. Warranty isn't issue for me because if it doesn't fail within the year, then it's normally not a manufacturer defect. 

The Dobyns Champions are great rods and the 765 flip is a good choice .  I would look at the DC744C, and the DC764C. There is a difference between the regular casting and the flip series. I would call out to Dobyns and talk to Gary or his son Richard for some guidance.  You say heavy jigs, and tx rigs. Discuss what "heavy" in your mind is with them.

Now for some other options look at an Irod Air series IRA754C, an IRA755C or Irod Genesis series IRG754C ant there is two other flipping sticks to consider. I know a bunch of guys that fish the Fred'd Magic stick in the Genesis II series.  They all love them. Again i would call out and discuss what you really want and the guy at Irod are happy to talk fishing rods.  I did just that when I was looking at a rod to fish traps and cranks.  I fish a Genesis II  IRG 703cc and love it for all my square bills, traps and small to kid depth cranks.  I liked these rods enough I purchased an IRG 712 spinning rod for my wife. It is considered a heavy finesse rod. It is perfect for swim jigs and texas rigs.

My last suggestion is a Powell Max3D 775 CEF. That thing is a beast and yet pretty light.  I fish one Powell but really like their entire lineup. My Powell Max 683 CEF is a workhorse. It is the most versatile rod in my lineup.  Here again I have spoken with Keith at Powell and he was very helpful in getting a rod to a friend in Canada. Ask him for his best choice for your purpose

I know I keep saying contact these companies.  One thing these companies have in common is their customer service, Th size if these companies allow them to directly spend time with their customers.  All 3 make very good rods in different series, obviously as the price goes up in the series the rods use lighter more sensitive blanks and use more expensive components.  The last 5 rods that I have purchased for myself and my wife have been rods from these 3 companies.

I'll just list what I would buy in your shoes:

Dobyns Champion XP 703  
7-ft | Med-Hvy | Fast | $250

Shimano Curado 70 CU71HG
6.5 oz | 7.2:1 | $200

If you'll be pitching lures over 3/4 oz, I'd go with the Dobyns 704
If you prefer right-handed reels, you'd be looking at the CU70HG

Roger

I got a St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass rod for this season - the 6'8" MH/F which I have been using as my primary worm rod, but it would be a great jig rod as well.   I can not say enough good things about this rod.   I thought the Avid's were nice rods, the bump up to this rod is more than worth it imo.

So if it were me, I would pair this rod ($270) with a Lew's Tournament Pro ($200).  

Saint Croix legend tournament 71 or 73 mhf. 

I like the Curado 70 I. But there are a lot of other great choices as well. 

Either the Curado 200 I for $129.99 or the Curado 70 for $149.99 that are both on sale at American Legacy Fishing.  From there you can just go all-in on like a Megabass Orochi, Phenix Ultra MBX, St Croix Legend Tournament Bass, or a Loomis.

Thanks for all the input. I really have been eyeing the Dobyns Champion and the Legend Tournament. I am also curious about the Megabass Levante series and would appreciate it if anyone could share their experience with them. And I hope I don't regret the SV103. I've really been liking what Shimano has been putting out but just decided to pull the trigger because of the sale. 

I haven't fished a Levante but was thinking of getting one at a local tackle shop last year.  Changed my mind after talking to a customer that used to have Levante rods but switched them all out for Orochis.  He said the Levante just didn't feel right when he was fishing them, but the Orochi was the feel he's been looking for his whole life.  He wasn't a Megabass rep and had no skin in the game, just an enthusiast trying to convince me if I was looking at a Levante that I would be better off spending the extra for an Orochi.  Went with an Orochi Swingfire for small/medium crankbaits and couldn't be happier with the rod.

I just want a very sensitive rod, considering it will be a strictly bottom contact rod. I have a G Loomis e6x and it's not bad but it still left me wanting more. I don't know if I just had really high expectations for it or what. It's not bad by any means but I would like more sensitivity. 

Take a look at the Hammer rods.  Read a few reviews on them.  There is currently a thread on a Bass Boat forum comparing them to several other rods including the NRX.  I get the impression you won't find a more sensitive rod in the $200 range.  Depending on length one would set you back $180/$187.

• Like 1