Sign in to follow this  
FordsnFishin

1999 Ranger R83

Trying to make up my mind, so was hoping you guys could give a hand haha. Been looking real hard for a boat the past two months, trying to get one before spawn starts! Anyways i was looking for a good bass boat in the 10 to 15k range. Not a whole lot of luck. Been hard to come by here in central illinois, (looked in surrounding states as well...). But i came across this 1999 Ranger R83. He was looking to get 12,900, i have him talked down to 11,400.

Boat has a good 80lb thrust 24v minn kota, dual battery charger, livewell pumps work, 2 chairs come with it, all accessories seemed to work. Has a 175hp mercury EFI motor, water pump and spark plugs recently replaced. Trim works on front and back.

Compression was tested last year by a boat mechanic when he bought it. came out as 120 115 120 115 120 115. mechanic stated on report hours couldnt be extracted, so im unsure of hours on motor. Overall it seems like a very clean boat, and hasnt been used much.

Thoughts, concerns? I always think 300 times before making a purchase, and as many boats ive looked at wondering if i should pull the trigger.

As far as i can see the boat needs nothing, but im looking to upgrade the sonar system, put a hot foot, and possibly a extended deck. So looking to spend a bit more to get it where i want.

Thanks guys58ded25b1eff5_ranger2.jpg.da8db4af5baec471020dc177ac265aed.jpgranger1.jpg.4f4fec9c8d692584f9ad5a92314cc3ac.jpg58ded25a74f16_ranger3.jpg.424e87c0b1d059d80883d60fbe24a293.jpg58ded2b473912_ranger4.jpg.8022a6aa4cb5c2d8bd714b43d15178d1.jpg

They were nice boats.  That is a very reliable motor. I ran one of those on a custom ordered 1998 ProCraft. I owned it for 10 years and it was bullet proof even when I sold it.  The only thing I had to do to it other than normal maintenance was to replace a fuel lift pump diaphragm.  That was due to using oxygenated fuel that was state ordered( this was a predecessor to Ethanol fuel.  That boat looks clean.

I just sent a pm.

• Like 1

Thank you very much. I actually ended up walking away from this boat.  Feel as if the seller wasn't telling the whole truth and sounded more and more sketchy.

More boats out there,  search continues.  Thanks

looks like a good boat. I would say that price wise it is where it should be. boat prices have been surging upward considerably in the past 2-3 years. the motor is great. I have the same one on my boat. good luck

18 hours ago, FordsnFishin said:

Thank you very much. I actually ended up walking away from this boat.  Feel as if the seller wasn't telling the whole truth and sounded more and more sketchy.

More boats out there,  search continues.  Thanks

I recently passed up on a 1998 R80 with a Mercury 150. Boat was very clean, trailer needed a little love but what made me walk away was the story from the "owner" who was actually just flipping the boat for profit